Sunday, December 22, 2013

Chirp Chirp

Saturday morning at 7 a.m., I woke up to birds chirping!  That was music to my ears.  I am like one of Pavlov's dogs when I hear birdies sing, as my thinking shifted from what I needed to do that day…to summertime…and then WOW…bag the errands and my daughter Amy and I will head to the beach!  Why not, I asked myself.  We all could use a break from this frenzied time of year.

With bright sunshine and a projected high of about 60 degrees, my new and improved plan was to knock out shopping for Christmas day – since my family is coming to celebrate Hanukkah – and then my daughter and I would embark on our afternoon adventure.   
    
Unfortunately things didn’t progress as I had initially hoped.  I waited in line for about 50 minutes at the bank and made a few other stops as well.  By the time I got home, about seven hours had passed since the initial thrill I experienced when my thoughts raced from birds to beach.    
  
At this point, I had grown tired and agitated from the holiday madness that surrounded my every move. I felt betrayed by my own business before pleasure mantra that holds me captive to endless tasks.

I was wistful too, imagining myself seated on a bench overlooking the ocean, most likely with an ice cream cone in hand, wishing I had succumbed to my early morning eagerness to walk barefoot on the sand. 

Today, I didn’t hear the birdies, and the sun was replaced by rain.  I didn’t have that same yearning as I did yesterday to throw caution to the wind, but with a forecasted high above 70, I simply couldn’t resist.  As I headed out to tend to yesterday's unfinished to-do list, off came the UGGS.

And on went the flip flops.


2 comments:

  1. Your postings always make me smile. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at it like a 'test' chirp experience. Next time you hear the chirp, you will immediately start packing for the road :)

    ReplyDelete