Sunday, November 20, 2022

Garage A, Level 4

David asked the other day if I ever forget where I put things. I thought he had to be kidding.

He said he had been working outside on the grounds of our home and wanted to reorganize his tools but was afraid that, in the process of relocating them, he wouldn’t remember where they were when he needed them next.   

Hmmmmm...I said, “Yea, I forget sometimes 😊.”

S O M E T I M E S? What a joke! Just days before, my own reorganizing efforts threw me into a tizzy. I had to buy yet another new crochet hook because I couldn’t recall where I stored my stash of at least 20...even though at the time, I was sure I had found the “perfect” place...but, a week later, back to Michael’s Craft Store I went.

A similar situation occurred not long ago with picture frames I bought for photos of the grandkids...saw cute ones, put them away in the “perfect” place and then couldn’t find them when I needed them.  

The reality is that about 10 times a day – at a minimum – I can’t find where I put something. Does this mean I have too many things? That I think differently every day and, therefore, approach decision-making with a constantly changing perspective? That I can’t hold all that info in my head anymore? All of the above?

I was fascinated to learn after all these years of talking about almost everything, that David and I hadn’t yet discussed the tricks we’ve come up with to resolve one of our biggest challenges...to find our cars in parking lots.

He said that on our annual trip to Maine – as well as other places he travels by air – he always parks in the same garage and level at the airport so that he doesn’t have to think about where he has parked when he’s headed home.

For me, it’s the daily errands that present the biggest headache. To combat the stress of my forgetfulness, I intentionally park in the same general vicinity of places I go to regularly, like supermarkets, restaurants, doctors’ offices and so on. This works well for an easy exit, so long as the chosen spots are available. The trouble starts when they aren’t.

When I have to park in a new spot, I run the risk of walking round and round the parking lot when I’m exiting and trying frantically to find my car. Sometimes I’ll press on my key fob to activate the chirping sound so that I can follow to my car but with so many other similar sounds, that isn’t always effective given my hearing deficiencies as well. I could probably use my iPhone to help me out but fidgeting with electronics in the parking lot is going to be, well...a nightmare, given I’d first need to find my readers in my handbag.

Even though I was soooooooooo embarrassed by it at the time, I often find myself thinking about the good ‘ole days when I drove around my parents’ “Cohen for Council” enormous advertising box that was bolted down to the roof of their Delta 88 Oldsmobile back in the late ‘70s and early ‘80s.  

Going shopping with that thing was absolutely the best, because I’d never have to wonder where I had parked. The sign always stood high above even the tallest of cars – no SUVs on the road back then – and truly was a driver’s dream come true.

David is convinced that 2 components are at play to explain the memory losses we experience as we age: 1 – We don’t retain as much as we were once able to, and 2 – We realize it’s easier to repeat our actions than make random decisions that require us to keep track of more details.   

As he shared his thoughts, another idea came to my mind but, by the time he was done, I had already forgotten what I was going to say.

14 comments:

  1. I always park at Wegmans isle 13 and my crochet hook Is in my pencil cup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What if you can't get a spot on 13? One hook? What would you do if you had ... 12 or 20?

      Delete
  2. I love the perfect place to hide things. I feel like I'm always in the process of waiting to find a handful of items I've put in these "special" spots - and don't get me started on keys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done so much better with keys now that I have keyless entry on my car, although I still have to get into the house. It is always so amusing when you find the things you've been missing!

      Delete
  3. I could totally relate. How many times have I left the house and didn't remember if I closed the garage door. I sometimes do it and then repeat - Garage door closed just so I could remember I did it. I have come to realize that if I have kept something in the same spot for a long time and then reorganize and move it - that's when the trouble starts!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I worry about the garage door too from time to time and have even come home to check and see it's closed and then wonder why I doubted myself in the first place. Have you ever left it open?

      Delete
  4. In airports, Dave and I always take a picture of where our car is. When I park in my parking lot at work, I always send myself a text on my way out of the lot while walking to the office telling myself what level I am on and where I am on that level. If I don’t, I surely will not remember where I parked when I go back to the lot at the end of the day. Believe me, it has happened, and I have spent 15 minutes trying to find my car. It’s quite an amazing thing that our minds cannot retain this information for just eight hours, but I can remember what I wore on my first date with my husband 22 years ago😂
    Celestine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL and so true...about remembering what you wore on your first date with your husband!

      Delete
  5. If only I could remember why I went up the stairs or down, and what I was trying to find

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This happened to me at least twice today - for the same item!

      Delete
  6. that's why you have a phone with a camera. Use your phone and take a picture. and write stuff down in your notes. The mind is like a shelf. when too much is on it, something falls off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can take a picture, but if there's no sign nearby, it isn't necessarily telling, as the cars will likely change too. I have to take it in such a way that I can see my car in relation to something that is stationary.

      Delete
  7. Back in the day, when cars had antennas, my grandfather, always would tie a handkerchief on the top of the antenna. When we left the mall or wherever we were, he would glance over the parking lot and find the car right away. I haven’t thought of that in years. Thank you for that memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the memory...This would surely help!

      Delete