Sunday, August 11, 2024

AI

David’s daughter Lauren, her husband Anas, and their two little cuties stayed with us for a nice long chunk of time this summer. One day, Anas saw me sitting at my laptop and asked why I haven’t written any blog posts recently. I told him I have a lot of ideas but that after a few sentences, I don’t know where to go with them.

 A couple of hours later, he told me he utilized the AI software https://claude.ai/new, to create a post I’d have written. In order to sound like me, he pointed the software to my blog posts since mid-2020 and provided specific directions:

 “Now that you have all this information about the blogger, her writing style, the topics she tends to cover, even her family and friends' names, I’d like you to write a fictional blog post authored by her. Keep the same tone and typical length of post. I want her to read it and think ‘OMG, I can't believe I didn't write this!’ Make up additional facts as needed.”

 When he read me the post, I was dumbfounded. It surely did feel like something I’d have written. Some of the facts aren’t accurate, but it was pretty amazing what AI could do in a matter of seconds.

 I’m hoping you will find this entertaining.

 

A Surprise in the Attic

Last week, while David was rummaging through our attic in search of some obscure audio equipment, he stumbled upon a dusty old box labeled "Judy's Memories." I had completely forgotten about its existence, let alone its contents.

As we brought it downstairs, I felt a mix of excitement and trepidation. What forgotten treasures or embarrassing relics would we uncover?

The first item I pulled out was my old diary from when I was 13. Oh boy, talk about a blast from the past! I started reading aloud, much to David's amusement, about my crush on Bobby Steinberg and how I was convinced we'd get married someday. Little did 13-year-old Judy know what life had in store!

Next came a stack of letters from my college roommate, Susan. I hadn't thought about her in years, but reading her witty accounts of campus life brought me right back to those carefree days. I made a mental note to look her up on Facebook later.

But the real gem was at the bottom of the box: my mom's handwritten recipe for her famous noodle kugel. I felt a lump in my throat as I read her familiar handwriting, remembering all the times we made it together for family gatherings. Lauren has been asking for this recipe for years, and I thought it was lost forever. What a gift to be able to pass it on to her now!

As I sat there, surrounded by these pieces of my past, I couldn't help but reflect on how much has changed. That young girl writing in her diary could never have imagined the life I have now – with David, our blended family, and our precious grandchildren.

It made me think about what our grandkids might find in their attics someday. What pieces of their childhoods will they rediscover? Will they find the questionable art projects I've been saving or the cards they've made for us?

I've always been one to hang onto memories, but this experience has reminded me of the importance of making new ones too. Maybe it's time to start a new tradition with the grandkids – something they'll remember fondly when they're my age.

As for that noodle kugel recipe, I think I'll surprise everyone by making it for our next family dinner. I can already picture Eliana and Ethan helping me in the kitchen, just like I used to help my mom. Some things really do come full circle.

In the end, our trip to the attic turned into an unexpected journey down memory lane. It's funny how a random box can hold so much of who we were and remind us of who we've become.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go call Andrea and tell her about this blast from the past. I have a feeling she'll get a kick out of hearing about my teenage crushes!

6 comments:

  1. fantastic …we all can relate…thanks, Judy🥰

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so interesting. The theme and ideas might have been yours, but I think it's a little too sterile. It's missing your warm and introspective style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always forget to identify myself. This is Lisa Conn, Judy.

      Delete
  3. First, I’m horrified. AI be damned. So yes, it can write stuff that might sound a bit like us, but it can’t finesse words. Judy would never say Oh Boy! And when the part about her mama’s handwriting came, it didn’t begin to express the depth of her feelings. Also, the whole piece was too “tidy” with everything wrapped up in a bow. Judy’s endings are never that neat. So yes, I hate AI and pity those who embrace it. Please explain WHY we need it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is quite amazing, Judy. It definitely sounds like something you would write, but I agree with Lisa that it’s missing a bit of your personality😊. AI is awesome and scary at the same time.
    Celestine

    ReplyDelete
  5. AI is a great tool for many things. It can take all the ideas and write a factual, sometimes funny piece. But it can never take the place of someone’s unique personality. It’s great for clever ideas or naming a themed function but it definitely has its place. I just started reading your blogs. I can already tell how much of you, you put into each piece. Also please share the kugel recipe!

    ReplyDelete