Sunday, May 11, 2014

Mother's Day


From one mom to another…isn't it a wonderful moment in time to be surrounded by our kids on Mother’s Day?  It’s a bonus for those of us who like me are lucky enough to simultaneously surround our moms too.  Sharing a special day with three generations is truly three times the fun. 

To devote a day for each other when everyone is normally so preoccupied with their own obligations is truly a blessing, regardless of all the remarks that naysayers make about Mother’s Day and other occasions being a Hallmark windfall.

Motherhood is serious business, and we moms all know this.  I’m not exaggerating to say I’d bet that many of us think about our kids every minute of every single day, with few exceptions.  Sometimes I think the only thing that keeps me from thinking about one of my kid’s issues is when I refocus to think about another one of my kid's issues.        

Do I have OCD?  Perhaps I do.  Or maybe it’s just Motherhood, plain and simple.

When I was in my mid 20s, I visited my sister-in-law Beth, who lived in Florida. She made motherhood look glorious. She was in great shape and laughed all the time about her boys and the funny things they did.  I left her house time and time again thinking that when I’m a mom, I’m going to have a blast, with just a few challenges along the way.     

Back then, I knew I might need some help learning to say NO, or enforce an unwanted curfew.  I assumed I’d find a book out there to help me exert my authority. I was also somewhat nervous that I might pass out if one of two things happened: an injury involving blood or an illness with throwing up.  As you would expect, I had to face both, but luckily I didn’t buckle in the process. 

Most of what my life as a parent has been about was unexpected.  It would never have occurred to me in my 20s that I’d become an expert on Tourette Syndrome when my firstborn was in 2nd grade, that I’d become a divorced mom when all three kids were under age 11, or that I’d need to learn about Celiac Disease in my mid-50s and now have an area of my pantry devoted to gluten-free options for when my older daughter comes home to visit. There have been many surprises, both good and bad, along the way.


Would I do it again?  Without a doubt.

No comments:

Post a Comment