Sunday, June 8, 2014

Captive Audience

Not to be too dramatic, but Bluetooth has changed my life.

And not because I use it much.  I'm really not in my car long enough most days to have conversations with anyone on my contact list, as my commute to work is only about 5 minutes. 

However, I am behind the wheel long enough to have conversations with myself - aloud - about anything and everything.  I can ask myself how I'm doing, tell a joke, attempt to resolve a conflict, argue a point, clarify a concern, or present a decision. I can experiment with my words until I find the right ones to say and that sound right to hear.  I  can play the part of me or someone else or create dialogue between two parties.  I can even tell myself all the secrets I promised not to tell anyone. 

And the greatest thing of all is that I can do all these things while LOOKING like I'm talking to SOMEONE ELSE on my Bluetooth, with no one from the outside looking in able to conclude that I'm talking to myself.  This is an absolutely brilliant outgrowth of an absolutely brilliant invention.

Now don't get alarmed. I don't think I'm beginning to unravel.  In fact, before I wrote this blog, I googled "people who talk to themselves," because obviously if it seemed questionable, I wouldn't advertise that I do this, nor would I recommend as I'm doing now that YOU try it too. 

But I looked at tons of links applauding people who talk to themselves and it seems to be general consensus that talking to oneself about matters requiring action or decision-making is time well spent; in fact, it's good for one's mental health. Throw in a little schmoozing for good measure.

For the record, I'm not saying that I look forward to yapping to myself every time I anticipate getting in the car or that I'd rather talk to myself than someone else, and anyone reading this whose help I count on knows this is true.  Nonetheless, there's nothing like feeling absolutely free to say whatever I want and not being held accountable because it's just between me, myself and I.

And because I so enjoy this new lifestyle trick, I say to you...

Don't knock it till you've tried it!  

No comments:

Post a Comment