Sunday, June 14, 2015

Memories Live On

'Tis the season for some Mommy and Me quality time, even if she's not here to enjoy it.   

Two of my biggest worries when she passed were: 1 - being afraid I'd begin to forget all those times we spent together and 2- letting memories of her strong drive and grit begin to slip away.

I'm starting to believe these things will never happen, as everything's a trigger, in a good way.
Last night, I heard a woman talking about her 97 year-old mother.  "My mom lived to 97 too," I thought to myself. 

This morning, I made a fruit salad and what bowl did I reach for, in my Color Me Mine cabinet?  The triangular one that my mom made a few years ago, when we went for my birthday.

This afternoon, I went to see Pitch Perfect 2 with my girls and laughed thinking about that time my mom and I sat on the first row of the Esquire Movie theatre in our West Oak Lane neighborhood to catch The Boston Strangler. That's not a movie one should sit up close to see, but that's what happens when you come in 45 minutes late.  That's actually not a movie one should see, period.

The memories of Mom keep on coming. 

One of her biggest attributes that I think about often was the fact that she was always willing to invest in those she believed in.    

One such example is the commitment she made to an elementary school in the neighborhood where she and my dad raised their 4 kids and where she became a most dedicated community activist.

My mom was the co-founder and president of the Ogontz Area Neighbors Association and through this organization a core group of residents worked hard to make the neighborhood a better place. They accomplished this in many ways, but two notable achievements were the establishment of a family center and gym program at the Pennell Elementary School and also the creation of scholarships to local high school students entering Temple University.   

My mom was especially passionate about the Pennell School, so much so that a mural of my parents was painted there representing many decades of dedication.  
        
When she was about 90 years old - a few years after my dad passed - she decided she wanted to create a new ritual at Pennell which would both inspire and assist its elementary school graduates. 
Students were asked to write essays in response to the question, "What does Pennell mean to me?"
She (and her kids, including me) would then pick one male and one female to win a Councilman David and Florence Cohen Award for Academic Achievement and Good Citizenship.  The winners were asked to read their essays during the graduation ceremony, followed by the presentation of gifts (in recent years, Kindles). 

My siblings, our kids and I have appreciated these essays as they are a combination of entertaining, eye opening and rewarding.  It is a real privilege to have access to the inner thinking of such fine young men and women.   
  
This is the first year without Mom's input as to who the winner should be, but I know she had faith in us, as she reminded me before she passed that she hopes we continue the tradition long after she's gone.

Soon I'll be in Ocean City with my kids and I'm certain that one of them will ask the annual question, "Remember that time Bubbe played ball with us on the beach?"

She gave so many of us her very best.

5 comments:

  1. Florrie....Florrie....Florrie!!! love & miss her

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's cool to me how each person can have such different memories of someone which allows that person to live on in everyone's hearts in such unique ways. I have many fond memories of Bubbe and many that make me laugh and will continue to make me laugh for years and years to come! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your mother with us, Judy. I sit here with a tear in my eye, loving how beautifully you can write your memories of your mom, and regretting that I never got to get together with you to have lunch with her as I had hoped. I look forward to learning so much more about Florence as I read future blogs posts, as I know your memories of her will never fade, but only grow stronger as each day passes. Love you. Celestine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to thank the one man that was able to restore my broken relationship, I have always taught that white are more superior to black in all aspect of life, But this powerful spell caster called Dr.Abazara proved to me that intends of spell casting that Africans are the best. That is the reason why i will be recommending the services of Dr.Agbazara to all those that have been heart broken because just through these details: agbazara@gmail.com Or call +2348104102662 i was able to contact Dr.Agbazara and today i am happy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Special thanks goes to this great spell caster called Dr.Abolo. I will forever in my life remain grateful to this great man for bringing my lover back to me after 9 weeks of emotional tears and pains during the period i lost my lover to another guy, but this great man brought my man back to me just within 48 hours. Try this great man and see for yourself the outcome Contact him at: +2347052534659 or via email: Abolospell@hotmail.com. I promise you that after contacting him your life will never remain the-same.

    ReplyDelete