Sunday, August 30, 2015

Five Years

When I close my eyes at night, I can imagine just about anything. 

I can picture my stepson Matthew walking in the front door.  I can almost hear his keys jingling at the lock, followed by the squish of sneakers going up the steps to his room, which he shared with Michael. 

"Come in and say 'HI!' before you go upstairs," David would call out to him from the kitchen.    

"Come in and say goodnight," David would ask of him before he hit the sack, when he knew Matthew would be out late.      

Reliving this dialogue in my head can be very convincing that it's happening in real time.

If only it were.

Yesterday marked five years since Matthew passed away.
 
One of our little neighbors, Johnny,  just turned 5.  He rides a bike on his own and is a big bad first grader.  His whole life has taken place in the time frame that Matthew' s been gone.  

This is a most shocking and sobering measurement of how long it's been. 

While it's true that the passing of time helps the healing process, it can't eliminate voids of this nature. 

However, these days while tears are less constant and more sporadic than they were for the first year or two,  it's unnerving how the triggers can come from anywhere and at anytime.   

Take going out to dinner.  The waiter comes to our table and says, "Welcome to Mexican Food Factory, my name is Matthew and I'll be taking care of you."

Immediately, I ask myself, Couldn't we have a waiter with a different name?  Maybe I should check that before we sit down next time.  

Seemingly harmless conversation with friendly people can turn from entertaining to dreadful in a matter of seconds. 

A common topic - at a Bed & Breakfast, during breakfast  when unfamiliar couples sit together - usually starts with establishing everyone's home states and then almost always moves to the children..."Do you guys have kids?  How many? "   

I've become more assertive with taking control of the conversation from the getgo, which plays an important role in keeping the exchange light.  

I also dig into my meal at a fairly rapid pace so that we can make a quick getaway before it's our turn to answer potentially difficult questions.

But when I realize that the predictable questions are unavoidable, my heart goes out to the person or couple asking so innocently about our Brady Bunch configuration, knowing the potential for darkness is looming in the information I'd be about to pass on.

There are times I have to admit that I've wanted to say that we have 4 kids, not 5, but I'd be disappointed in myself to leave Matthew out of the equation just because it's easier for me.

It's not because I don't have great memories of and stories about Matthew and a desire to share them, but the road to them is too painful.

Maybe one day this part will become easier, but in my heart I know that may never happen.

11 comments:

  1. Judy, Thanks for sharing these personal and meaningful thoughts about Matthew. Sending you and David and the family love and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your openness & honesty is comforting to those of us who share these feelings! Peace to you & David!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad about this. Feel free to share your story too xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Judy, as stated above, your openness and honesty is a comfort to those people reading this who might be sharing the same feelings.

    Although the road to sharing your memories and stories of Matthew with others, especially strangers where this particular blog is concerned, is painful I would venture to guess that in the end these strangers, and you, will leave the conversation feeling lifted up because you have just shared wonderful memories of Matthew. I would like to look at this as a way of Matthew being present with you in some way, so perhaps you would look forward to sharing his memories and stories to feel his presence again and maybe it could eventually feel more joyful and less painful. Of course that is easy for me to say because I have not lost a son, but I have lost a husband, so I can relate a little bit, and I find that I feel more joy when I share stories and memories as time goes by. Love you my friend. Celestine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Cel - the eternal optimist! As always YOU lift my spirits. xo

      Delete
  5. Judy, I've enjoyed reading your Blog over the past year. This entry must have been difficult for you to write. It really improved my understanding. Regards to you and David.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gary! So great to hear from you. I wrote the blog over a couple weeks, much of the time with tears streaming down my face. While I spoke of 2 situations - a waiter's name and conversations with strangers - reminders pop up every day - in seeing a teen/young man, a lanky teen, a teen with blue eyes; in seeing families together; in hearing about the Mets, Giants, Rutgers etc etc - the list is truly endless. My hope is that over time we can laugh more about Matthew's life than cry over the tragic and senseless nature of his death, but I'm not sure that will be possible. Keep in touch and say HI to Helene! xo

      Delete
    2. Hi Gary! So great to hear from you. I wrote the blog over a couple weeks, much of the time with tears streaming down my face. While I spoke of 2 situations - a waiter's name and conversations with strangers - reminders pop up every day - in seeing a teen/young man, a lanky teen, a teen with blue eyes; in seeing families together; in hearing about the Mets, Giants, Rutgers etc etc - the list is truly endless. My hope is that over time we can laugh more about Matthew's life than cry over the tragic and senseless nature of his death, but I'm not sure that will be possible. Keep in touch and say HI to Helene! xo

      Delete
  6. A difficult topic written so beautifully - that is your style my friend. Heartfelt wishes to you both that each year gets easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much Tita for your kind and encouraging words. xo

      Delete