Sunday, September 27, 2015

All in the Same

The arrival of Pope Francis caused quite a stir, shutting down the city like never before.

People from all over came to see a man whose progressive ideas are breathing new life into the Catholic Church and to society at large.  He's emerging as a compelling world leader, and many of us are tuning in.    

That's not to say that I'm on board with all his thinking, such as his stance on homosexuality, adoption with same sex couples or abortion, but his eyes and ears appear to be open, which is an important step in the right direction.
    
He can't erase the Church's wrongdoings of the past, but he is acknowledging them which will hopefully change the course going forward.

The Pope's presence here for the World Meeting of Families has awoken in many of us deep yearning and faith that the world can be a better place.    
  
And it's not just that he's calling for people to pray for it; he's calling on people to act upon it:  to help the impoverished, the immigrants, each other...to be the best we can be.    
     
In which case isn't this a humanitarian message, and not so much a religious one?  After all, it's not just Catholics who want to be good people and live in a peaceful world; we ALL do. We are all much similar than different, aren't we? 

Thinking like this always gets me into trouble, leading me to start questioning everything.

For example, what really is the difference between a Catholic woman and me, a Jew?

I'm no theologian, but I'd say that one of the most noteworthy hallmarks of each religion centers on the deity with which a relationship is formed and a prayer is directed...so while I pray to G-d, perhaps my Catholic friend would pray to a saint.

We could be standing side by side and praying with the same intentions at heart:  Make Bradley well, bring a baby into Jane's life, don't let Derrick and Joy lose their home and so forth. 

What I don't get is why associating with a religion that we call our own seems to create a divide that separates us far more than unifies us.  It's not like one entity is pure and one is evil. 

It's all supposed to be good.    

4 comments:

  1. Well put Judy. I agree that Pope Francis's visit last week, and most specifically to Philadelphia this past weekend, was an event that captured the eyes and ears of so many people of many different faiths. I, as a Catholic, found it so interesting to come across friends who were not Catholic but were glued to their televisions because they were so impressed with this man and what he had to say and also how he acted while he was here. Everything you said is so true, and I think that is what Pope Francis is trying to get across to us Catholics (and all the world too); that we should just love one another and treat each other as we would want to be treated. Also that God (no matter what God you pray to) is a merciful God and we should all turn to Him and trust in Him. It's really quite simple.
    One thing I wanted to correct in your blog was that Catholics don't pray to saints specifically, as one might pray to God, but rather we pray to the saints asking them to intercede on our behalf. We ask that they would pray for us, or our intentions (sort of a prayer partner with us as we pray to God). We are always still praying to God Himself. Celestine

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Cel! My apologies for not stating the facts surrounding prayer in the Catholic religion accurately. I remember your telling me that you pray to saints who pray for you to God, but I am sorry that I wasn't clear. I have always loved the wisdom you've shared with me about your religious practices (as well as about life in general). Thanks so much for once again making time to comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. After 6 moths of Broken marriage, my husband left me with two kids, I felt like ending it all, i almost committed suicide because he left us with nothing, i was emotionally down all this while. Thanks to a man called Dr Aisabu of Aisabu temple which i met online. On one faithful day, as I was browsing through the internet, I came across several testimonies about this particular man. Some people testified that he brought their Ex lover back, some testified that he restores womb,cure cancer,and other sickness, some testified that he prayed to stop divorce and get a good paid job so on. He is amazing, i also come across one particular testimony, it was about a woman called Shannon , she testified about how he brought back her Ex lover in less than 2 days, and at the end of her testimony she dropped his email. (aisabulovespell@gmail.com) After reading all these, I decided to give it a try. I contacted him via email and explained my problem to him. In just 48hours, my husband came back to me. We resolved our issues, and we are even happier than ever. DR Aisabu you are a gifted man and thank you for everything you had done in my life. If you have a problem and you are looking for a real and genuine spell caster, Try him anytime, he is the answer to your problems. you can contact him on aisabulovespell@gmail.com !

    ReplyDelete