Sunday, July 19, 2020

Anita's Garden


I am drawn to yellow Black-eyed Susans and pink Echinacea, white daisies, peonies and other long-stemmed flowers that gently sway in the morning breeze; sunflowers that remind me of big, happy faces (and my mom); and deep blueish-purple petunias, which literally make me stop and stare, marveling at the inherent artistry of Mother Nature.

Belmont Inn is a Bed & Breakfast in the charming little town of Camden, Maine, that David and I have enjoyed every summer for many years. What I noticed upon arrival the very first time we stayed there was the magnificent garden that was overflowing with an endless bounty of wildflowers. Each day as we’d sit on the wraparound porch of this old Victorian house, we’d see the lovely innkeeper, Anita, joyously laboring in it and presiding over it. While I knew this was special to witness, I also felt at times that the relationship between Anita and her garden was almost too private for an outsider to observe.        

This summer, we probably won’t be going back, due to the pandemic (boooooo) and trying to stay in tip-top shape for our grandchildren (yaayyy!). Although I think this decision is for the best, David knows I’ll miss it, as will he. In an effort to brighten our spirits during this period of long, sometimes melancholy days – and have me spend more time with him outside – he suggested we create our own version of the Belmont Inn garden, just steps away from our own porch.

When he first brought it up, I wanted to remind him of who I am and who I am not. I AM an admirer of a beautiful garden, that’s for sure, but I am NOT someone who wants to do the digging to make it happen. This is in direct contrast to his interest and satisfaction in taking such wonderful care of our property. 

I like doing some planting each spring, like in pots, and I’m pleased to report that the flowers usually live through the end of the season, but that’s a far cry from planting flowers in the ground that actually bloom each year and add to the picturesque quality of the landscape. This requires a lot of work, and if you were to ask me “What would you rather do outside…garden or shovel snow?” There’s no question; I’d pick the snow option. I also love a great sushi meal but would rather enjoy it out than learn to make it in my kitchen.

Seeing that David was so enthused about his idea and had already painstakingly cleared a portion of our grounds for it, I wanted to be a good sport, not to mention that I have p l e n t y of time and energy, so why not just do it with him, even if it’s not something I’m dying to do. I’d have been a real jerk to say “not interested, buddy,” even though that was my first inclination. 

He ignored my lack of enthusiasm, I’m glad to say, and repeatedly suggested that I contact Anita, who has become a very special friend to us over the years, to pick her brain about the cultivation of our own garden. I’m sure he was hoping she’d offer some guidance that would translate into excitement for me and success for us in embarking on this new undertaking.   

I could feel Anita’s smile and passion for her Belmont Inn garden when we talked about it, which led to my feeling more invested in the idea, like I was embarking on a project that would bring the three of us gratification. By the time I was done jotting down all of her suggestions, I had some 20+ flowers on my list along with her commentary for each one, such as how big and full it would become, the colors, placement, and so on. As she talked, I scrolled through the myriad of pictures I had taken each year we visited. 

A couple of days later, David and I went to a local nursery and walked down the perennial aisle, picking up 10 flowering plants that she either recommended or to which we were attracted. When we got home, the process to plant them was similar to everything else we do together:  he moved speedily and I kept slowing things down so I could think about all the specifics that Anita told me to keep in mind, such as how big each plant would grow and where it should be placed, whereas he had either already done that in his head or it would have come naturally as we had gotten started.  

Phase One is complete.

Now living in Oregon to be close to her daughters and grandchildren, we’re hoping that one day not too far off, Anita will come visit us and see our creation.

8 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see your new garden! I'm sure it will be beautiful! Be patient. It takes a year or two for perennials to take off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so curious how each of the plants will grow, whether I'll need to add more to fill up the area, whether I'll want to expand into other areas, etc. But I hear what you're saying; it'll take a year or more to actually get a sense for how all these will grow.

      Delete
  2. Pictures please! 🌸🌼🌻🌷

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! This is so exciting. I am so impressed with your eventual willingness to give in and participate in the garden with David. I could so see my Dave encouraging me to call Anita, and my stubbornness holding me back because I knew what his intentions were. You are so good at seeing all sides of a situation and weighing their importance or just how they will play out.

    I can't wait to see pictures and discuss all the details. As you know, when we first moved into our home, 17 years ago, I was so into gardening and planting perennials and annuals every year. I have since lost interest, haha!

    Looking forward for this pandemic to end so I can come over for some sticky chicken and a walk in your garden:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Until David read the story, I don't think he realized how little I was interested in doing this, but he does recall having to remind me several times to call Anita. He knew if she was onboard, I'd be more apt to be excited about it.I remember you loved gardening! I used to love planting vegetables; we did that with success in my other house. I'd like to try that again one day too. Sticky chicken...you will love it!

      Delete
  4. I looked up all of the flowers you mentioned - gorgeous! I would have loved Anita's garden, too! Can't wait to see everything in full bloom at your house. I'm sure you and David will make it beautiful. I will keep hoping for more normal days ahead where you can resume your summer Maine trips that I know you both love so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would have loved Anita's garden too, I agree. Thanks for your sweetness xo

      Delete