Sunday, August 16, 2020

Picture, Picture on the Wall

The childhood home I lived in some 40-60 years ago was like others I had seen, reflecting the personalities our parents.           

My mom’s decor choices were bold, as was she: red kitchen flooring, reddish/orange shag rug and similarly colored tweed upholstered furniture. Her passions were sprinkled throughout, such as her love for travel, her eternal fight for justice, historical novels she could immerse herself in, and her pursuit of beautiful artwork to make our walls pop with color and meaning. 

As unique as I found some of her taste, there was only one big difference between our home and those of my friends: we had no family pictures on display…anywhere.

There was no sign of little Judy as a toddler or playing with her siblings or the doggy or Mama Judy with her kiddies in tow. There was no picture of my mom and dad when they got married or their parents, grandparents or siblings. 

This isn’t a case of Were there even cameras back then?  Yes, there were.

It also isn’t a case of Did they have pictures?  Yes, lots. Older ones were neatly arranged in photo albums and newer ones filled the top drawer of my mom’s bedroom bureau.     

“Why don’t we have family pictures hanging up?” I asked my mom one day, given all the other stuff we had on the walls. 

“That would be indulgent,” she said, clearly showing disapproval.

I said “Oh, OK…” but I didn’t know what she was saying. What on earth did she mean? 

When my kids were in nursery school, I met a woman who sold really cool picture frames, and I bought a few. That was back in the day when people used film cameras, not their phones, so I always had a lot of pictures lying around as I’d get double prints made from each roll and distribute to the grandparents.

I would rotate pictures in those frames, never having more than one of each child at a time, because I couldn’t shake my mom’s comment about indulgence.   

Interestingly, on her 80th birthday, my mom’s best friend Bea gave her a framed picture of the 3 Musketeers – my mom, Bea and Sylvia – who were besties for some 70 years. I was so curious what she’d do with that. Was she going to hide it in the drawer with all the photos I gave her, or was she going to hang it up?     

Next time I visited my mom, I was pleasantly surprised that the picture had been hung on the dining room wall. This meant she’d pass it every time she left the kitchen and would hopefully experience pleasant feelings multiple times a day.           

In my current home, we don’t have pictures on the first floor, other than of Matthew, David’s son, with 2 Mets players that David and Matthew met on one of their baseball trips. They are on a dining room wall, positioned so that we can see him when we come in the front door and as we walk around the house.

Upstairs, we have a good number of family and friends’ pictures in different places, and I enjoy them immensely. I wonder if my mom would think it indulgent to have pictures around that only we inhabitants would see.     

About 15 years ago, David took a shot of my mom and me, cheek to cheek. He framed it and gave it to me. I didn’t know where to put it; I knew it wasn’t going downstairs – God forbid she would see her picture when she came over – given my paranoia about her remark. 

He suggested that I place it on my nightstand so that I could look at her every day, when I get up and when I go to bed.    

I wasn’t keen on the idea initially but tried it out. I’m so happy I did.

I love seeing her face and it being so close to mine is an added bonus.

 

6 comments:

  1. So funny how our parents infiltrate our lives in the little quirky choices we make.I love how your blogs are so relatable. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So well said Tita! I guess we will be doing the same to our own kids!

      Delete
  2. It is great to see the framed collage of your family pictures that SJ has in our house! Mom was one of a kind!!! Miss her lots!! I look forward to your stories about "Life as a Cohen"!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad Sherrie is happy to have pictures out! Mom was something. She kept us all on our toes!

      Delete
  3. This is such an interesting blog, Judy. I am really behind, so you will be seeing my responses to the last few as well:)

    When I go into my sister, Joannie's, houses (she has one in Philly and one in Ocean City), I am always jealous of how she has so many beautiful pictures of all of her kids and her and her husband and her grandchildren all over the houses. In small, unique frames in the bathroom, on large canvases in the living room, cute pictures of her kids as teenagers on bedroom dressers, and in her kitchen in Philly she has a bulletin board where she just pins favorite current shots of all of her grandchildren that she prints out from her phone.

    At the shore, she has her entire hallway (she has a very large house) from front to back of house lined with identical frames filled with black and white pictures of all of her children and grandchildren. Not in posed portraits, but in various candid shots that had been taken over time.

    Joannie has lived in many homes over the years, and every house she has lived in has been adorned with pictures of her family, and I have always thought it made the house feel so much more like a home; like these are the people who live here and have fun here and love here!

    I have tried a little to put various pictures of my children and sisters and other family members around my house, and I think, for me, it adds to the "hominess" of the home, but I think that is because of the expectations I have put on myself because of wanting my house to feel to others like Joannie's does to me whenever I walk in. (I have a long way to go to measure up to Joannie's talents with decorating with pictures).

    I know real estate agents say to remove all family pictures when selling a home because they want the new home buyers to picture themselves living there, but I want to walk into a home and see that this was a home where a family lived and had fun.

    After all of that, I really just wanted to say that I am so glad that you have the picture of you and your mom next to your bedside table. What a beautiful way to wake up in the morning, and what a beautiful suggestion for David to give.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Celestine, as so often the case, I love your thoughtful and heartwarming responses! Thank you for sharing so much about your sister's house and your own feelings about pictures. I'd really enjoy seeing so many photos of family laughing and loving - candid shots - in your sister's place, your place and my place! What wonderful memories these kinds of pictures bring to the surface.
      I bet the black and white shots are awesome too. I feel happy that you appreciate the picture of my mom and me by my bed too. It brings me such peace. And yes I love that David wanted me to have this picture close to my bed so I could see it all the time, not just once and then off to a drawer somewhere. Thanks again for sharing.

      Delete