Sunday, September 13, 2020

Game, Set, Match

I wish I were a sports fan.

David watched a football game earlier today and boy was he pumped. As usual he spent a lot of his time texting like-minded souls. Others tuned in with friends or family – outside or virtually – and nibbled on lots of fun appetizer-type snacks while never taking their eyes off the screen. If they witnessed a historic game of any kind, they will talk about it forever. I know I’m missing out.     

I’ve tried. I just don’t appreciate seeing grown men run around chasing a ball or a puck and, as added entertainment for the viewer, potentially fighting over it. 

If invited to join a game day gathering, I would consider it so that I’m not seen as antisocial, but I’d rather do almost anything else. Would I rather…try on a bathing suit? Well…No. I’d choose the event. How about clean out the bottom shelf of my linen closet?  I could pick this. Go out for ice cream? Definitely.        

Make the athletes women, however, playing a sport that demonstrates individual skill and mental fortitude, throw in a story or two about overcoming a personal and/or professional struggle, tell the tale of two siblings or rivals, or demonstrate how a player uses her position in the limelight to take a stand (that I agree with), and I’m all in.

For the past 2 weeks, I was spellbound by the Women’s U.S. Open Tennis Championship. David and I watched all the women’s singles matches and some of the men’s. The fact that No. 1 ranked Novak Djokovic was thrown out in the quarter finals because he got angry and hit a ball that injured a line judge was just another reminder to me that if this sport was male dominated, I wouldn’t be interested.  

The women participating from the get-go were awesome. In the mix was a variety of individuals who made me proud:  9 moms, 1 social activist, 1 woman making a comeback, 1 underdog, 1 tennis icon, and lots more.  

The final was between Naomi Osaka, a mixed-race 22-year-old – her mom is Japanese and her dad is Haitian – and Victoria Azarenka, a 31-year-old Belarusian mom with a 3-year-old son, Leo.

I was rooting for Osaka; David was rooting for Azarenka.

He was surprised that I wasn’t cheering for a mom who had been stuck in a custody battle with her ex-boyfriend and therefore couldn’t participate in many tournaments over a few-year period because she wasn’t legally allowed to leave the country with her son.

While I felt badly for Azarenka, she was able to make up for lost time. She had been penalized unfairly – no doubt about it – but I was so inspired by Osaka and felt great pride that such a young woman would stand alone in the tennis world as a minority herself and speak out about racism and police brutality.

She brought to the U.S. Open 7 masks, each one bearing the name of one of the Black victims of racial violence, hoping to raise awareness and “to make people start talking.” She honored Breonna Taylor, Elijah McClain, Ahmaud Arbery, Trayvon Martin, George Floyd, Philando Castile and Tamir Rice.

She also spoke about the battle she often encounters with her inner self about maintaining a positive attitude and not getting caught up in bad moments when things start to go against her on the court.

When she won the championship, Osaka thanked runner-up Azarenka for being an inspiration ever since she (Osaka) was a little girl and for teaching her so much along the way. 

Osaka then said what I’d be thinking but probably wouldn’t have verbalized – although maybe 40 years ago, I would have – and that is, “I don’t want to play you in any more finals. I really didn’t enjoy that…it was a really tough match for me.”

David, on the other hand, supported Azarenka’s comeback and the unwavering confidence she demonstrated in herself. She shared her belief that if she’s in the match, she can win the match. I’m sure that having followed her over the last decade influenced his interest in seeing her become the winner.

She was asked by reporters what she felt about moms being so prominent at the U.S. Open. 

“That’s not the only thing that we are...We are also women who have dreams and goals and passions.”

All these women are why I love tennis.

6 comments:

  1. Judy, I loved reading this post! I just finished watching the men's final, which will be remembered for the mental and physical challenges faced by the players and their determination. I'm so sorry I got distracted and never got to watch the preliminaries or watch the women play. You've really touched on the fact that athletes are more than their wins...they are more interesting when we know their stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa! That men's final was incredible tennis and such a show and lesson on the power of mental fortitude. I agree it's so much more interesting to watch athletes when we know about their personal lives. Lots more tennis is coming up so it's never too late to jump right in!

      Delete
  2. Judy...another great post!!! I watched the whole tournament also and even SJ watched the Final!
    Naomi Osaka is great athlete and has the mind set to be a champion for years to come. Being 22 and an activist for social justice is a tough arena for a public person in this day & age...social media chews them up and spits them out all the time! I admire and praise this young woman and will continue to be a fan! Thanks for writing about this and expressing your appreciated words!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Virgy! Naomi is a very special young woman. I hope she keeps to the mindset of using her platform to make statements (since I like her statements :)

      Delete
  3. I love how you give all sides to this story! Your side and David's side. Osaka's side and Asarenka's side too. Such a balanced blog. You should have been a sports reporter:)

    I only watched parts of both the men's and women's because Dave had them on. I honestly did not follow them closely, but if I read your post prior to the competition, I think I would have watched with a lot more enthusiasm and interest.

    Thanks for writing about so many different and diverse subjects. I so enjoy your blogs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cel for always being so complimentary! I am glad you enjoy reading my stories. It's never too late to get into watching tennis, and I find it a great way to relax too.

      Delete