Sunday, May 30, 2021

The Lasagna Method

These days I have more time than ever, yet I’m consumed with saving more time than ever, especially when it comes to meals.

It wasn’t always this way; I used to embrace the whole dinner process, albeit lengthy at times. I’d start combing through recipes for creative and tasty dinners, which often led to a supermarket trip, followed by a long prep and often a big mess before and after dinner. 

Then one day I noticed our focus shifting, from satisfying our taste buds to clearing our schedule, as if we really need that extra time.  

In a nutshell, we’ve taken on “the lasagna method.” This is the kind of meal that can stretch and stretch and stretch…it can always feed one more hungry mouth and/or – more to the point for us – last for one more meal.    

This trend started without much fanfare, just by buying as big a piece of salmon as would fit into the pan, so we could have it the next day(s) or night(s) hot or cold, because we discovered we like it chilled on a bed of greens as well.

Then one day David came home from the market with 4 fillets of branzino instead of the usual 2, so we could have the same yummy meal the next night too, he said. The “experiment” went so well that now he always buys 4...While so delicious, even the second night, I can’t go past 2 nights with this fish; it is the kind of meal that goes from delicious to gross fairly quickly.

Now I’m approaching all my meals in this manner. Why make marinade for 3 chicken breasts that will work for 1 or 2 meals when I can make marinade for 6 breasts and multiple meals and have it hot or cold, whole or sliced? There’s even plenty for Shea Doggy to indulge in this way, too.   

This will work well with one of our other staples too: penne with red sauce, sautéed vegetables and shrimp. When I think of all that labor required for one meal, with few leftovers, if any, I am floored...Why on earth did I not think this through, until now?!??! There are also multiple mix-and-match combinations with these ingredients that can fill our tummies for the better part of a week. 

What does this all mean? We are only in the kitchen now a fraction of the time we once were (for preparing, not eating 😊) Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?

Don’t worry folks. I still love my daily shower.


 

10 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous, Judy. When I was single I would cook up a big pot of food and eat it for days until it was gone - if I enjoy food today, then I like it the next day, and day after that...but Mitch won't eat leftovers! Oy, so much work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love leftovers too. It depends what we're talking about, but a lot are better the next day or two. It must be a lot of work to have to prepare something new every day.

      Delete
  2. My kids call this meal prepping!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You write so well, Judy, it's always a pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. SJ & I shop for veggies on Saturday then wash, chop for salad & cook in batches that lasts 2-3 days! then do it again! lots of work but eating veggies and grains is healthy and delicious! Glad you found this method out...enjoy!!👍🏽💕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You guys are very inspirational to me (and healthy)!

      Delete
  5. Dave didn’t used to be big on leftovers at all. Now he’s pretty good with eating things for lunch the next day or even dinner the next day.
    ‘Dave even orders extra when we order out now so we will have leftovers throughout the week. He’s come a long way.

    ReplyDelete