Sunday, October 31, 2021

To Give is to Receive

This holiday season, David and I are participating in a couple of Hanukkah Pollyannas.

I think they are eons of fun, especially these days when the brainstorming can be quick and easy online, and the shopping can be completed in a fraction of the time and with much less energy than it would take to check out things in person. Sending the gift directly to the recipient without having to wrap it up and take to the post office is icing on the cake.

Given that I have a good amount of free time on my hands, I don’t mind turning the search for the perfect gift into a project; however, I can see a busier person or the non-shopper wanting to streamline the task.

Regardless of the scenario, I think there is an effortless and very valuable gift out there that people seem to either overlook or have very strong yay or nay opinions about: gift cards.

To me, they are a fabulous option. They are sold everywhere, and they can always be put to good use.  It would be highly unlikely that someone would react to one by thinking “What a dumb gift,” or “Gee, that was a waste; who am I going to give this to?”

David, on the other hand, thinks gift cards are dressed up cash and that this type of gift should not be permitted with a Pollyanna or it will seem like everyone is just shuffling money from one person to the next.

To that, I say...So what? Is that a bad thing?

He is a believer that people should choose something personal and creative, and while that’s a nice idea, it may not be practical. Even though we live together, I still don’t always know what to buy for him. But, if I think I know what someone would like, or I intentionally want to give him or her something specific, that’s a different story.

I reminded David that he seems to appreciate when my kids get him Lowe’s gift cards to put toward whatever he’d want there, and he agreed they’ve come in very handy since he is always there.  

Exactly my point.

It’s true that a gift card may not be much fun to pick out, or be one of the more innovative gifts to give, but it leads me to wonder...

Who exactly is a gift designed to please: the person choosing it, the person receiving it, or both?

P.S. My favorite stores are...

6 comments:

  1. Gift cards are my last resort. I attempt to personalize my gift giving, but when it becomes a dreaded chore then I resort to gift cards! To receive them is nice, if you don't lose them or let them expire....yikes!!! Love your blog because you discuss matters that are on everyone's mind but hardly ever discussed! Keep 'em coming!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Virg...I'm glad you like my blog! I feel the way you do..xo

      Delete
  2. I'm also not a fan of the gift card. Presents are a way of telling someone what they mean to you. No matter who it is, I always buy something that I myself would love but also think they would too. It requires some work to find the right present but that part of the challenge, to me, is the most fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don’t think there is anything wrong with giving a gift card if you honestly don’t know what to get or if you honestly think the receiver would appreciate it. However, if the giver is just being lazy and doesn’t feel like thinking about what to get someone, then I think that’s inappropriate.
    My favorite stores to shop at in person for gifts are Hello World, a cute little gift store on campus at UPenn that has all sorts of unique gifts, Loft and Target. My favorite stores to shop for gifts online are Uncommon Goods and Amazon 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about giving a gift card if you don't know what to get or if you think the receiver would appreciate it. I'd love to check out that Hello World! There used to be so many gift stores near us and now there's really just one or two. I like Uncommon Goods a lot too!

      Delete