Sunday, December 12, 2021

It's A Start

I am proud – and embarrassed – to say that this past week I donated blood to the American Red Cross for the first time!

It only took some 45 years to do it. When I was much younger, I was afraid of needles, and then when I got past that – somewhat – I was busy with kids, busy with work, busy with life.

A month ago, I took a walk with my girlfriend Bobbi who was telling me about her life: caring for her parents, her husband, working...all the things I’m not...and oh yes, giving blood in the upcoming week.

Eeeeek...No more excuses! I went online when I got home and made an appointment. I could not believe all the location choices, the one I chose being just 5 minutes from my house.

The outing took about one hour, starting with my answering questions along with a health screening to check my vitals, both done to verify that I’m in good health and would be an appropriate donor. The woman assigned to me checked my pulse, blood pressure, body temperature, and hemoglobin level.  Next time I donate, I can utilize their app for a quicker check-in, although each visit will still require a mini-physical.

The draw itself took about 10 minutes and collected about one unit of blood – one pint – and once it was complete, I was instructed to sit down for a few minutes and have a bag of cookies. Boy, that was a change, to be told to eat something sugary. I had Chips Ahoy and fruit punch...No guilt because I was doing what I was instructed to do. Besides, I needed refreshments to replenish some of the body’s fluids and nutrients and boost my energy level. 

In a month or so, I’ll be able to log on to the site and see the results of my blood tests, along with my blood type too that I should know but only vaguely think I remember. I learned that donated blood will be tested for Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C, HIV and other viruses/conditions before it is OK’d for a recipient.

I’m happy that I was able to do something that could help another person and potentially save a life, and all I had to do was lie down on a padded bench. Donations are essential for trauma patients and people undergoing a variety of situations including surgeries, transplants, chronic illnesses, blood disorders and cancer.

It’s also true that at any time, I could be the one needing blood, reliant on others to have donated, but it recently dawned on me: How can I expect it would be available for me, if I haven’t done my part to give it?

I texted my friend after my experience because I was so excited about it and wanted her to know she had inspired me. I also told her that I plan to donate as often as the Red Cross allows one to do it, which is every 8 weeks, or up to 6 times each year.

When I asked her how many times she had donated, she was thrilled to say that she had recently received notification that she is just one donation away from 6 gallons of blood, as she has donated 47 times!

I will never catch up to her (obviously), but I feel good to be part of the team!

2 comments:

  1. Yes, it is inspiring. How many people see/and read your blog posts? Do I remember correctly that you write for a newspaper? Does something like this get into a paper somewhere? It would be so great if it did!

    Happy Holidays! To you and David and those you love and care about.

    And, did you get the email I sent last week with my new address, new business card, etc?

    ReplyDelete