Sunday, March 24, 2024

Holy Moly

I’m all for accepting my age and not portraying myself as if I’m going to be 35 and not 65 on my next trip around the sun, but I’m starting to wonder if/how age should play a role in my fashion sense.    

I’m surely not going to sport crop tops, for all those crazies out there who think that’s where I’m going with this, but NO. Absolutely not. What I’m talking about relates to what I wear below my waist.       

When I was a teen, I loved my jeans. I’d taper them to make them skin tight. I added patches, studs, embroidery, and whatever else I could hand sew to personalize them and snazz them up. A decade later – corresponding with life as a mom and longing for comfort above all else – I abandoned jeans altogether and became a leggings-only woman.        

While leggings will always be my numero uno, the fairly new stretch component on most jeans today has worked wonders to lure me back - under one condition: the holier, the better. I have found that my favorite jeans align with the number of holes on them: 1 hole is slightly amusing; 10 holes are a blast. So, if wearing them isn't fun, I might as well wear leggings. 

I didn't start off loving this look. When I first noticed distressed jeans with large holes, I was really turned off by the large portions of exposed skin as well as all the strings hanging from them. I did not understand how someone – anyone – would think these jeans looked presentable, let alone attractive.

One day, I happened to be in American Eagle and, as usual, checked out the clearance rack. Before long, I found myself in the dressing room with a pair, and not just any pair, but one with about 6 or 8 sizable holes.   

Five years later, I have almost as many distressed jeans in my closet today as pristine ones, and I almost never reach for the plain Janes.

With summertime just a few months away, distressed jeans with holes have an advantage: built-in air conditioning.

I have wondered why I rarely if ever see my peers wearing distressed jeans. Curious about who likes them, I took a poll of some 20 women – ages 55 and older – and asked them “Would you wear distressed jeans with holes?”

Most said NO, they would not, for these reasons: "I’d never pay for jeans with holes. What a rip off; They are awful; I give you credit for wearing them since it’s mostly young people I see in them; They don’t appeal to me...You’d never see these in Talbots; They are for the kids to wear." Two were open to them: "I like them but won’t wear them if the holes are too big; I like them but not if I’m going somewhere fancy.”  

The other day, I picked up my granddaughter from elementary school. Out of about 25 moms wearing jeans, I saw a handful of really cool moms - my kids' ages - with some rips in their jeans.

And then a very striking woman with gorgeous gray hair – dare I say another grandmom? – walked by and man...she rocked her holy jeans. 

12 comments:

  1. You’re super hip and don’t even know it! Also, love that you used to “snazz” up your jeans. Snazzy is one of my all time favorite words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After I saw you a few weeks ago, I thought that Lisa is so stylish and...snazzy! xo

      Delete
  2. I took that poll!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You definitely had THE COOLEST jeans 👖 growing up! Keep it up!
    Your style is timeless …❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL..thank you! Since your comment came up as Anonymous, as do many of the others as you can see, I can't fully enjoy your compliment...write me back, say your name.

      Delete
  4. I, like you, was really turned off by these jeans when they first came out. It drove me crazy. But now, I have become used to them and they don’t bother me as much when I see the young kids wearing them. It does bother me when the section from mid-thigh to mid-calf is ripped out. I think that’s a little ridiculous!!
    A couple summers ago I bought a pair of white straight leg jeans online that I really liked. When I got them and put them on, it turned out they had a very small hole cut out around the knee. I was so disappointed because I wanted these to be my dress jeans. They are very comfortable and I do wear them often but I would’ve preferred them to not have holes in them. I guess that’s just not my style, although I do think they look great on people our age. I don’t see them as a generational statement, but more as a fashion statement in general.

    Enjoy your jeans judy! I know you look fabulous in them😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could see being disappointed in that knee hole if I had bought the white jeans to wear as dress jeans! The funny thing is I had been looking for white jeans with holes for some time before I found a pair. I look forward to seeing you in yours!

      Delete
  5. Like you, I love my jeans with holes. My jeans without holes just lack personality - I mean I may as well be wearing dress pants!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous...write back with your name so I can enjoy our like mindedness!

      Delete
  6. Dress for yourself and with whatever makes you feel good. That confidence in how you look will exude beauty in so many other ways, from top to toes❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous...write back with your name please so I can say thank you to you and you are so right!

      Delete