Sunday, March 16, 2014

A Little Privacy, Please

Nothing like a memorable conversation, each and every time.

This topic, however, shouldn’t be as hush-hush in everyday life as it seems to be, however intimate it is.  Why we women tiptoe around this subject like delicate wallflowers is beyond me, and yet we do it all the time, whispering as we broach the topic, even more so as we debate it.

Take for example the other night, when I went out with an old friend and a relatively new friend. We were gabbing about everything from A to Z…one thing led to another and before long, we were huddled around the table talking about, of all things, our…gynecologists. 

It seems that talking about one’s gynecologist is taboo, or at least takes us out of our comfort zone, yet many of us have turned our bodies over to them – by my age – many times, birthday suit and all.   

OK so I have a male gynecologist who is sweet as sugar.  He brought 2 of my 3 kids into this world.  He sure knew how to make me swoon.  This guy bought me a bag of Oreos after I delivered my middle child, a pregnancy made much more challenging by gestational diabetes.  My first cookie after months and months of deprivation.  Need I say more? 

But heck…would I rather have a female gynecologist?  Absolutely!  In fact, when I had an issue a few years ago and his female counterpart was covering for him, I was secretly delighted.  Just the fact that she was a woman put me completely at ease. No need to TRY to relax or to TRY to make conversation so the exam didn’t feel as awkward as it really was.  I’d go back to her in a minute, if I didn’t feel guilty that I was cheating on him.

But would I go back to her if I knew she’s a … lesbian?

Why this question even comes up is a mystery, yet it always does, when we women talk about our gynecologists. 

How is this any different than going to a male, who we’d assume for the sake of argument, is a heterosexual?  The gynecologist who bought me the cookies appears to be, with a picture of his wife and kids on his desk, and I have no apprehension about that, so why would a lesbian pose a problem? 

Perhaps the issue is that we women want to know with relative certainty that, as irresistible as we may be, our caregiver wouldn’t take advantage of us in our most exposed and vulnerable state.  And how better to seal the deal than by seeking the attention of someone we’re relatively sure wouldn’t be attracted to women at any time, like a gay male or female heterosexual gynecologist. I certainly wouldn’t want to put all those male heterosexuals out of business, though.  They’ve kept us and our kids safe from womb through their first public cry.  They deserve better.

So while most of us end up saying it doesn’t matter if we go male, female, gay, straight, consensus seems to be – based on many conversations over the years – that women prefer to be cared for by women, regardless of their sexual preference.


That is, unless you’re my other friend who says she’d always choose a male because she thinks men are inherently smarter, but that’s a blog for another day.  

4 comments:

  1. Your topic is fascinating to me. Interestingly, I've never had a good experience with a female gyno.. and I have had both gay and straight.I have found them rather rough and at times rude ..ie .."I don't see why you think that hurts.." The fact that we are the same gender does not necessary mean they are more understanding or sympathetic. I'm not crazy about having male gynos but I do expect sensitivity during those awkward exams, and the females don't do it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally I am like Tita - I go male every time too. Hetrosexual men know how to treat a woman, a good gynecologist is a great lover - when going 'down' there who wants some cold doctor who treats it just sees us as a piece of meat?... and the best bit, my husband thinks another man putting his fingers in me or feeling round my bare breasts and setting my heart racing is both completely normal and something we females simple have to 'endure'! Oh ladies, if our men knew ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Tita and Sally, if you've not enjoyed your visit to your gynecologist, you're seeing the wrong guy! The man I've visited for the last 3 years is gentle, soft, funny, handsome and best of all rich. We flirt the entire time and I LOVE it! I must admit there's even been a few times I've thought of a few 'concerns' which I know would guarantee me an extensive & in depth examination by him and with him in control, even the pap test is a joy. We're not objects of our husbands Judy and it's not wrong to enjoy being touched by another man. If the doctors I have visited are any reason to go by a lot of the men who choose to become gynecologists understand this is part of their role and enjoy giving as much as I enjoy receiving, so find yourself a good one, give the hint then sit back... and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always thought there to be something a little creepy about a man who wants to become a gynecologist and on more than 1 occasion I've what can at best be described as a subtle suggestion made to me while my feet are in the stirrups. I now only go to women ob/gyns because I want to make sure I don't have a life altering disease, not because I want some pervert in a white coat who seems himself as Don Juan thinking he has the power to give me an orgasm.

    ReplyDelete