Sunday, October 26, 2014

I Did It!

Finally got my tush back to the gym and let me tell you, it was no easy feat.

I am the queen of excuses.  Day after day, I justified my gym-less routine:  I'm helping my mom move (so that's enough of a workout); I'm helping David to clean the leaves off our lawn (so I did my share of exercise); I'm working late (so I'll be way too tired after I come home first to have dinner); I walked Shea Doggy one extra time today (so there's no need to do anything else); and my personal favorite:   I just don't feel like it.

I've been shamelessly talking myself OUT of going to the gym for so long that when I thought about returning the other night, I actually waited a minute for my alter ego to chime in, once again telling me not tonight.  When that didn't occur, I gave it another minute, then an extra minute, until finally, I gave up.  I got in the car and headed for the gym.

This scenario has happened before, when I've had good intentions but ended up at Chico's (women's clothing) instead.  On this particular night, however, I was determined to not just entertain the thought of going but to actually go.   

It was 8 pm when I left my house and the gym closes at 9.  So now in addition to returning after a prolonged absence, I was on a tight timetable, which made the whole experience feel too compelling to pass up.       

I was so busy thinking how proud of myself I was to get back to business that I forgot where I needed to turn in to the gym parking lot from the main road and so I missed it, requiring me to drive an extra 30 seconds to the next entrance.  I looked at the clock:  hmmmm...what time does Chico's close?

Not enough time to have any fun there, I told myself.   

The walk from the car to the front door of the gym felt good.  I still didn't feel like going in, but I was excited to get back to the routine I once knew and loved (positive thinking, obviously).

Then I went inside and W-O-A.  Had I entered a time warp?  The machines were much bigger than I remembered, and facing all different directions.  I couldn't tell if they were really old or really new, but then I realized that they were shiny, so OK...new.  But when did all this happen?  Just how long had I been away?

I didn't have time to figure it all out.  It was now about 8:20. I only had 30 minutes left before they would get ready to close and I would be expected to leave.  I had better do something other than ruminate about doing something. 

I found my familiar bike and did that for 20 minutes, even working up a sweat.  But the bigger sweat was earned when I sat on an unfamiliar piece of equipment and looked up to read the instructions to confirm that I was positioned correctly, only to see all the letters blur together.  Yikes!  

Now I need glasses at the gym too?!?!  How am I going to carry those around?  I have never seen anyone take out a pair of glasses when sitting on a Leg Curl.

Thank goodness for this blog, because I wanted to end it saying I went to the gym a second time this weekend.

Yep, I did it. I went a second time.   

2 comments:

  1. Good for you Judy!! I, too, have been "thinking" about getting back to the exercise thing (not that it was EVER a regular part of my routine to begin with:)). I have been thinking about it a lot lately, and just like you said, my alter ego isn't as quick to chime in with excuses when I consider that I should seriously start exercising. So, now I read your inspiring blog, and perhaps this is just what I need to go downstairs (yes, it is as easy for me as to go down one flight of steps to find a treadmill, an incumbent bike and a universal weight system) and start easing myself into some sort of exercise routine. I know if I try to go whole hog right away, I will be turned off, so I think slow and steady wins the race. So, I say Thank You, Judy, for encouraging me through this blog to go home and step onto my treadmill and walk for 30 minutes to start. I will ease my way up to the weights. I will keep you posted:) Celestine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great for you to get back at it! Very proud! xoxo

    ReplyDelete