Sunday, December 28, 2014

This Time I'm Serious

It's New Year's resolution crunch time.

That means I'm just days away from someone asking, "What is your New Year's resolution?"     

I might as well play a recorded response: I want to lose weight.  I want to have more patience.  I want to keep more of my thoughts to myself instead of blurting them out.  I want, I want, I want. Yet, I don't do, over and over again.  

This time around, though, I was honest with myself.  The average resolution isn't going to cut it.  I'll never do it, and once again I'll have failed at this task.  Perhaps I could have success with a resolution that would be not only beneficial to me but also enjoyable for me.  I'm far more apt to do something if I know I'll have fun doing it.  But what would this resolution be? 

As I was chewing on that, David and two of our girls, Allison and Amy, went out to dinner.  I sat down in a relatively pensive mood and began to unwind when the girls spoke about the great after-Christmas sales at the mall.  Allison said she picked up a few things and took out of her purse a new bottle of charcoal-colored sparkly nail polish.  

I said, "Ooooh so pretty, I wonder what it would look like on my hand," and she asked me if I'd like to try it out.  I said "No thanks."  Then she asked David if he'd like to try it on.  For those of us who know and love David, we found his response rather surprising.  I would've expected him to say, "NO," like I did, even more emphatically.  It's not generally his way to push the gender (or any other) limits when it comes to setting a new fashion trend.  He never went for the ear gauges, ripped jeans or tattoos.  It's T-shirts and collared shirts all the way, and there's no pink, lavender or Bahama prints to be found anywhere in his closet.

But, he extended his hand.  Allison chose his pinky for the royal treatment.  Then she asked if he'd like a second coat and, once again, he offered up his pinky.  He even posed when Amy took a picture to prove he did this, because we all know that at some point, he may deny it.  I caught him looking at that shiny fingernail later on, too.

And then I realized that David's willingness to go with the flow was far better than mine.  Since I view him as more rigid in his ways than I am, his playfulness was a real wake-up call.    

I've decided that there's no better time than now to have some fun and to take myself a little less seriously.    

This is the first New Year's resolution that I'm really serious about.   

1 comment:

  1. I am right there with you, Judy, on the not taking things too seriously resolution for 2015 because here is what I was thinking while reading this blog: As soon as you mentioned that Amy asked you if you wanted to try the nail polish, I immediately began saying out loud "She is NOT going to open the nail polish in the restaurant!?" So, of course when you said no, I said out loud "Good for you, Judy!" Because you know how pungent nail polish is and how the fumes carry, right?? Opening nail polish in a restaurant is not a good thing....period!
    Well, when you started leading us to the fact that David was going to say YES to Amy's suggestion of trying the nail polish, I began to yell "NOOOO! I can't believe she actually is opening that nail polish in a restaurant??" I began wondering what all of the people sitting around you were doing and if anyone complained. AND, when the second coat was mentioned, I was beside myself!!
    So, you see, I have issues, and need to let some things go and stop taking things so seriously. I will need to lighten up and start laughing at some things and stop worrying about what people are thinking. And stop worrying about what people are thinking about my friends who are were in a restaurant in another state on a night that had already passed......haha....... I am right there with you, Judy. Celestine

    ReplyDelete