Sunday, December 21, 2014

'Tis The Season

Believe it or not, I'm actually going to be disappointed when my holiday shopping is done.

I think the key for success for me was the combination of a positive attitude and starting early.  I was determined to have fun, even if it killed me, and to give myself enough time to think long and hard about each person on my list and what I thought he/she might like.   

And one other detail made the shopping manageable, which was staying organized. This is usually a challenge for me, but not this year, thanks to Excel.

Aaaaah, Excel.

As you all probably know by now, I'm very UN-savvy when it comes to navigating some of these computer programs, but I'm kind of hooked on Excel.  I see it has great potential when it comes to keeping track of things, so I've been trying to weave it into my routine whenever it makes sense. Buying what felt like a zillion gifts for my loved ones was one of those times.

So every day that there was shopping activity, I updated my spreadsheet.  It has made all the difference in the world to use this format vs. a Word document, which wasn't nearly as efficient, fun or gratifying. 

But my appreciation for this season is what separates it from seasons past, when I waited too long to start shopping and then viewed it as a chore.  This year, however, I discovered I can use the time shopping to reflect on how lucky I am to have such great family, which is growing by leaps and bounds with significant others and their families.  I can also use the time to mourn those we wish were here with us, who should be here with us. 

I will be excited when everyone opens their gifts, and I will also be thinking about the refined half-smile Matthew had when he was opening his, most likely uncertain what he'd find underneath the wrapping, but not even waiting to find out before he'd blurt out, "Thank You."

This gift-giving time of year has been the most enjoyable in recent years. I know people say that commerciality undermines the religious aspect of the holiday(s), but I'm going to override that for now in favor of utilizing our time in the most meaningful way possible.

For me, it's thinking special thoughts about each and every one of the people I love. 

2 comments:

  1. Another beautiful post Judy. As a Christian, I have always tried to remind myself of the "reason for the season", which is a phrase we tend to say to help us all focus less on the stress and materialistic craziness of the holidays and more on the fact that we should be caring more about the people around us. This is true no matter what holiday you are celebrating at this time of year, though, as you have indicated in your blog.

    If we can just take the stress and craziness out of our lives and think about the people with whom we are going to be spending the holidays, and especially those who we will not be spending them with, the holidays will definitely be more joyful and full of love. Celestine

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's all about the love...and you have so much in your heart! Thanks as always for taking the time to comment. xo

    ReplyDelete