Sunday, February 22, 2015

Between Girlfriends

Jane:  Did you ever call that guy I told you about last week? 

Trish:  Oh yea, yesterday.    

Jane:  Great!  When are you going?

Trish:  A week from Friday, before the party at night that I got the new dress for that I showed you.      
Jane:  Cool. Want company?

Trish:  No thanks, I'm good.   

Jane:  Call me afterwards and tell me all about it.    

Trish: Will do.

Jane:  I wonder if he'll remember me...tell him I said "hi" (giggle giggle)

Is this conversation between Jane and Trish about:

A - Trish's personal fitness training session with Jane's hot trainer

B - Trish's tattoo with the guy who designed Jane's sun and moon on her neck

C - Jane's nosey personality

 D - None of the above

If you picked D, you are right! 

The answer is...

E - It's about Trish's colonoscopy, with Jane's gastroenterologist.

WOA...exciting, I know.

When did life change from girlfriends talking about guys in muscle shirts at the gym to guys in white coats at the surgery center? 

Try age 50, or thereabouts.  That's when I noticed the shift in topics between my friends and me, morphing from stuff that's fun and exciting to...well, the opposite.

It's not like every conversation centers on procedures that make us all cringe, but I've noticed that we end up talking about things we don't like and don't want to do as much as what we do like and do want to do.  But, we always laugh...even about colonoscopies, and since laughter extends life. we are living proof that they can in fact be life saving in more ways than one.  My favorite reason so far as to why one girlfriend has put off her colonoscopy for 5 years:  "There's no way I'm doing that...That's an exit only," she said. 

We can tell ourselves that 50 is the new 30, but that's just lip service - to ourselves.  Who are we kidding?  The 30 year-olds are still having a blast with the guys at the gym,  planning trips to faraway beaches with a bikini in tow and without a care in the world, and going out at 10 pm for a night of dinner and dancing...when by then I'd have been in bed for an hour or two,   

It's hard to believe - but I know it will happen - that one day I'll be sitting around with my girlfriends and we'll be saying "Remember when we were 55, and we thought we were soooo old?"



1 comment:

  1. I am looking forward to sitting around with you and remembering when we thought we were old at 55. By then we will still be laughing at our medical procedures, with the added amusement of our false teeth and our loss of hearing (although that is an issue with me right now, haha). As long as you have girlfriends to share your stories with and laugh together with, as you said, our lives will be happily lengthened. Thanks for saving my life! Celestine

    ReplyDelete