Sunday, February 14, 2021

Come Out, Come Out, Wherever You Are

Oh where, oh where can my videotapes be???

Yes, those big chunky VHS recordings I took of my kids in the late 1980s and 1990s…

Put that to the tune of “Last Kiss” by J. Frank Wilson and the Cavaliers in 1961, and you’ll get what I’ve been singing to myself on and off for years now.

These babies are MIA.

I can picture where I used to keep them in my old house – EXACTLY where – in the cabinet underneath the TV – and I know that I and I alone packed that area to move into my current house, 17 years ago.

The question is, Where are they now?  

Everything not deemed essential for the kids and the running of the new house from Day #1 went into the attic…so I’ve always believed those videotapes are in hiding up there.

But David, who finds every excuse under the sun to go into the attic and fiddle around, hasn’t seen them, and he’s gone through all the cardboard boxes which I dutifully collected from local supermarkets every morning for months.

The reality is, even though I hate to admit such a lapse on my part, it’s quite possible that I donated the tapes along with others like Disney movies…or trashed them in my packing frenzy…there just aren’t that many possible scenarios, given that I don’t think anyone broke into my house and absconded with them.

And if either of these scenarios is the case, I have no one to blame but myself.

I hate when it boils down to…ME.

So unless we find them, I may never know what really happened.

While obsessing over this, I often think back to the purchase of the camcorder, in 1987. Bob and I decided to invest in one when Michael was an infant. We wanted to record his and our future kids’ every move and milestones, not only for us and for them, but for future generations to enjoy.

I took an entire videotape – some 4 hours – of Michael lying on the couch moving his arm ever-so-slightly so he could get a good look at his fist. It wasn’t easy for me to hold the camcorder for so long given how cumbersome it was to maneuver but since we did buy it for this purpose, I did it for the greater good.  

Later that day, I called Bob’s parents – almost too excited to speak – to tell them what their amazing grandson did that day. I asked if they wanted to come see the recording that weekend. “Of course!” they said. 

A few days later, they indulged us and marveled at his accomplishments just like we did – for hours…bless them – even though he was doing the same thing right next to them, in real time. I remember this like it was yesterday, and that was almost 34 years ago.

I am hopeful that one of these days I will be reunited with the videotapes, given all the effort and good intentions that went into taking them.

Of course, once this stupid pandemic is over, I hope to be creating the next series of recordings, this time on my iPhone.


8 comments:

  1. Well, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!, David! And birthday hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same - with my wedding video tape. I think it went into the library return box many years ago :( Well, we have to live in the moment. Happy 60th to David!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all the posts
    Happy birthday David🎂

    ReplyDelete
  4. Judy, I read this on Sunday and am just getting around to responding.

    I still have all of my videos, but I hesitate getting them converted because each one is filled with hours of the same thing 😂😂. There is probably only about 15 minutes of useable tape on each videotape. The thought of watching each one all the way through just to find the important few minutes is an overwhelming thought.

    By the way, I am glad that “Last Kiss” is one of my favorite songs because I have been humming and singing it every day since Sunday. Thanks for the earworm😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So funny about "Last Kiss"...it does have a catchy tune! I really laughed about your feeling overwhelmed about going through each videotape...I'd feel the same way!

      Delete