Sunday, February 7, 2021

It's Snow Beautiful

One night last weekend, I woke up for my nightly bathroom trip around 3 a.m. and, as usual, peeked out the window. The whiteness first blinded me until my eyes adjusted and then it drew me in to the most amazingly beautiful landscape, blanketed with snow. It was like sparkling sugar coated the world and ohhhhh…how sweet it was. 

In the morning, as snow continued to fall, I took SheaDoggy for a walk and basked in the stillness of the moment, the feeling similar to the heavenly aftermath of a full-body massage.  

Throughout the day, I parked myself by various windows so that I could continue to experience that snow-induced serenity – before it was gone – because it never lasts long enough. I suppose that is part of its allure, how fleeting it is.

As nightfall took hold, I had a flashback of ogling a snowstorm not that long ago, with my mom.

She had recently moved into an assisted living community close to me, and her living room window overlooked the courtyard. The location of her 2nd floor apartment was integral to her decision to move there because she saw that she could experience the joys of nature not only from the outside, but from the inside, too.

It was challenging with her wheelchair to get close enough to the window to see flowers and other greenery below but, on this one particular night, the steady flow of snow in combination with the glitz of the holiday season created a fabulous display in the courtyard, from all the viable vantage points.      

I assumed we’d watch from her wonderfully warm and cozy apartment but, true to form, she was eager to rough it in the courtyard. We bundled up and headed outside, where the air felt delightfully crisp. She sat in her wheelchair with her head leaning back so she could see the snowflakes up close, delight in them as they touched her face, and she even stuck her tongue out to taste them, too. I mirrored whatever she did, loving every minute.

After about a half hour, we went back upstairs, pretended we had hot chocolate, and sat by the window to continue watching the show.

When she went to bed, I left. The snow was still coming down, I cleaned off my car and began to relive all the memories that I didn’t want to forget.    

About a minute after I left her complex and turned on to the main road, I saw some activity in my rearview mirror. Those dreaded flashing lights were getting closer and closer until there was nowhere for the car behind me to go. I then realized this guy is coming for me, so I drove over to the shoulder of the road and waited. 

“Show me your license, registration and insurance,” he instructed. I asked why he pulled me over. He said my registration is not up to date, and he gave me a ticket.

Talk about a buzzkill.

My mom called the next morning to thank me for the night before. I decided it best not to mention the ticket because she would’ve been upset for me or about me, because that’s how mothers are.

So, I simply thanked her for a wonderful time too, not realizing that the joyful evening we had just shared…was our last.  

14 comments:

  1. Ah. Judy. I love how you live life and how you write about it.
    Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a sweet story. I felt like I was right there with you and your mom🥰. However, in the beginning when you talked about the beautiful snow at your house, you didn’t mention anything about the shoveling. Is it safe to assume that you don’t have to do any of the shoveling duties when it snows???
    I, too love the snow so much and how beautiful it is. Since we have a snowblower, I also don’t mind the snow removal duties. I prefer to do it myself because I have issues with needing neat lines and having the driveway and sidewalk totally clear. So, after I finish snow blowing, I go back over everything with a shovel to get rid of any lingering ice or snow. My husband thinks I am crazy, but I actually find it to be relaxing 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy now that i live in a condo and have that taken care of me without question! As for the story, I felt like I was right there too! My favorite yet, I think.

      Delete
    2. No, it's not safe to say I don't have snow shoveling duties! We use a snow blower too which David does and then I/we do the other stuff that doesn't get cleaned up there. I happen to really enjoy shoveling; like you, I find it very relaxing, and it's always so beautiful out at the time xo

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful memory. ❤️ (Minus the ticket of course).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sure was aggravating! But it didn't get in the way of remembering all the joy in that night xo

      Delete
  4. What beautiful memories and what a beautiful story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness Judy. This post has me crying, then laughing, then gasping in horror, then crying again! OMG< OMG. Love the prose too, great flow, and picturing Flo! I love to hear you talk lovingly about her - she was always so loving to me. This must have been a roller coaster for you to write as well. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed it! I love remembering her and this night was so wonderful that it was a pleasure to relive it. She loved you too! xo

      Delete
  6. Oh, my. There are so many important things that happen in a life but losing our mom has a very particular kind of significance.

    ReplyDelete