Sunday, November 10, 2013

Beyond the Workout

I used to be an avid gym-goer, but after a fairly lengthy hiatus, I had to be forced to get back into the routine. I’m happy to report that not only do I not mind it these days, but I’d go so far as to say that I’m starting to savor the experience again, for several reasons that never came to mind before I turned the Big 5-0. 

Back then, I incorporated my workouts into my day just because my girlfriend Karen, who was a new personal fitness trainer at the time, told me I had to do something to reverse the disturbing aftermath of my 3 C-sections.  It was only when my ex-husband and I separated that this schedule with my friend Rosanne came to a halt, as I was no longer able to go to the gym at 5 a.m.

Today—just to be clear—I would never ever ever get up at 5 a.m. to go anywhere unless I absolutely had no choice, least of all the gym.  I hate to admit it but without anyone pushing me along, I’ve had to look beyond the value of the workout itself to give me the momentum to get there at all. While this may seem like a rather skewed and perhaps negative approach to getting in shape, let me assure you it has produced positive results.  

Here’re the reasons I’ve come up with that support why a gym commitment serves me well, separate from the obvious benefits of exercising:  It’s one hour that 1) – I’m not snacking on stuff; 2 – Everyone I see isn’t obsessing over their electronic gadgets as they do freely almost everywhere else and, although I am guilty of this myself, it’s one of my biggest pet peeves; 3) – All generations and cultures are working toward the same goal; 4) – I’m regularly inspired by the younger set, which really knows how to work their workouts.     

I see young women, for example, displaying all sorts of fancy maneuvers on the big fitness ball, when it took me months to learn to sit on it without falling over.  I see them doing repetition after repetition of creative and strenuous exercises I could never have achieved let alone conceptualized, when in contrast I generally move from one machine to the next and stop at whim vs. a calculated end point.  I see them  focused on their own progress, not looking around for extraneous reasons to justify fitting this designated time into their busy schedules.   


So while at this point in my life I’ve left behind the intensity of the physical challenge, I’m able to appreciate the compelling benefits of one hour at Planet Fitness a few times a week, even if it is unrelated to my working up a sweat.  

1 comment:

  1. I agreed with you that I would never, ever, ever get up at 5am for anything; but then I remembered I am flying to Hawaii in a few days, and our flight is at 6am. This will entail me waking up somewhere around 3am, at which time I will be jumping out of bed; ready to roll!! LOL
    I always tell my husband I am not a morning person, and the only time I will probably be happy to get up and be in a decent mood in the morning would be if I was getting up to somewhere really special (like Hawaii). I guess he listened!

    ReplyDelete