Sunday, November 24, 2013

Like It or Not


I’m lucky that I’m a pretty good sport about sharing with my ex-husband, since taking turns to be with the kids is how we divorced parents roll.  My crew went to their dad’s the same nights each week until they left for college and, to this day (15 years after we separated), the plan to be with me one year and their dad the next for Thanksgiving dinner remains in effect.

I realize that sharing the kids for the holidays is the only fair thing to do, but I have to admit that there are times I just don’t want to do that.  What gets me is not the compromise of the situation (well, maybe somewhat—after all, I AM the mom!) but rather the more complex matter of not feeling whole without my kids. The emotions are further complicated when the gathering includes my niece and nephew, who I am certain will ask where their cousins are when I walk in to my brother’s house on Thursday. 

Since this is the holiday to give thanks, I suppose I should just man up and be grateful that I get to spend every other year with them while we stuff our faces with turkey and not focus on the years I don’t get to look at them across the table.


This is most likely just temporary anyway, as they will have families of their own at some point and then even more parents to please and add to the holiday rotation, unless they just buck the system and start their own traditions at home which cannot possibly include everyone anyway.  I will be ahead of the game at that time, as parents of intact families won’t be comfortable with sharing their kids at all, and I’ll be a pro, at least in theory.

4 comments:

  1. It is very difficult to "share" our children with other families. It can be their dad's new family or their new spouse's family but we need to keep in mind the big picture that our children are fortunate to have so many people to spend holidays with and who want to spend holidays with them. That being said, I agree with you Judy that it stinks to not have all your children surrounding you on Thanksgiving. Happy Holidays to All.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree it's wonderful when their circle expands and they have others to be with who want to be with them. This is how life is supposed to be and of course it's good to know the kids are moving into adulthood surrounded by loved ones. For the most part I am thrilled to see the kids grow up, but there are times I still long for the days when it was a given that we were one unit. Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  2. I have different circumstances where I am the stepmom (with whom the step child has lived full time since I married their father). My husband's favorite holiday is Thanksgiving, yet his child gets to go to their mother every Thanksgiving. I guess he feels like he gets to see his child every day, so the least he can do is give his ex the opportunity to spend the holiday with them. This bothers me because I feel we should also have a go at the holidays with all of our children too (not just my children). I feel our family holiday memories never include all of us; like this stepchild is missing from all of these memories.
    I hope when they get married, they will include us in the holiday rotation so we can have our WHOLE family together at least on the occassional year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel your longing to include all your kids - biological and step - in the making of family holiday memories. You've invested yourself in ALL your kids for a long time and would like to reap the benefits, and you deserve to. Can your stepdaughter take turns being with her mom and dad on alternating years, or is it assumed she'll be with her mom each year?

      Delete