Sunday, February 9, 2014

Pinky

This past Thursday as I prepared to visit with my mom, I stopped by Target first.  This is my usual go-to place to pick up the mix of things I need to bring.   

As I finished with my list, I was drawn to the eye-catching, brightly decorated Valentine’s Day section with candy, cards, paper goods, little toys that would fit in goody bags for parties and so on.  I decided rather than rush by these aisles to check out, I’d like to indulge myself in some fun stuff – kind of like taking time to stop and smell the roses.          

I saw lots of my favorite candies, thought about which one I wanted, put the Hershey Kisses in my cart, then decided I’d devour them all so I’d better put them back.  Next I walked over to the toy section and thought about what I’d buy for my kids’ friends if they were 15 or 20 years younger.  I was glad I didn’t have to make that decision, because I would’ve been there at least another half an hour.  Clearly, it was time to check out.   

And then I saw the most adorable pink teddy bear about a foot high with a little heart sewn into her chest, following me with her dreamy eyes as I walked away.  I was smitten.  I wanted my mom to have her.  This was meant to be, falling in love on the way to my mom’s.  I hope I don’t sound too sexist by referring to the bear as a female, but she is pink, after all.  I will call her Teddi. 

I put her in my cart but an aisle later reminded myself that my mom has never been a stuffed animal kind of gal, so maybe this purchase isn’t smart.  Perhaps Teddi should be with someone else who’d appreciate her.  I could’ve taken her home, but since my doggy would chew her up like he’s done with all my other furry friends, I put her back on the shelf.

An aisle later, I felt sad. I went back, put Teddi in my cart, told myself no more second-guessing the decision, and I brought her to my mom’s. 

It’s normal practice when I get there to show her what I’ve purchased, but I became hesitant about Teddi when my mom seemed indifferent with the snacks and flowers this time around.

Somewhat nervous about the introduction, I proceeded.  “Mom, this is Teddi…” and then that smile I live for when I visit stretched across her face, from ear to ear.  My mom reached out her arms to take Teddi and then began making silly faces at the bear, giggling and telling me how pretty she is.  I couldn’t believe I almost left Teddi at Target.

I never expected my mom to embrace her like that.  My sister told me this afternoon – two days later – that my mom is still carrying on with Pinky (yes, my mom renamed Teddi) just like the day they met. Maybe I really don’t know my mom as well as I thought I did.  I can’t believe I’m still learning about her likes and dislikes at age 96.  I bet there’s a lot more to know.   


I’m happy for my mom, but I’m happy for me too. This serendipitous connection is a memory in the making.  There is no second-guessing that.  

4 comments:

  1. This brought tears to my eyes, I was so glad that you went with your instincts and brought Pinky to your mom!! She gets to remember how much she loves you every time she sees that bear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another wonderful blog. It reminded me of a similar experience with my daughter. She is 18 going on 38, away at college. One day while shopping, I saw a huge gray and pink elephant - huge! Remembering how she used to love elephants as a child, I went back and forth on whether to buy it for her or not. The thing sat in my shopping cart, staring at me, as I rolled around CVS deciding what to do. Then I realized I was buying it more for me - perhaps hoping that there was still some of that 'little girl' left in my big girl...and that we could somehow recall those days when an elephant stuffed animal was all it took for a mother to satisfy her baby girl. I bought it. She loved it. I agree with what Carolyn said - go with your instincts.

    ReplyDelete