Sunday, August 10, 2014

Woo Hoo!

I’m on vacation!

That means I have a bona fide excuse to leave behind my To-Do List and conduct myself as if I don’t have one, even though just days ago I was obsessed with crossing things off it.

Right?  Easier said than done.

I was hoping to take a hiatus from those lingering concerns I carry with me in everyday life in time for check-in at the Belmont Inn, a lovely B&B on the coast of Maine that David and I have visited a few times over the years. I gave myself 5 hours door-to-door to make this transition to vacation mode, the most pressing matter on my To-Do List at that time.  After all, vacationing is serious business, and I didn’t want to waste a minute of this precious getaway.

Every year I seem to find the need to give myself a pep talk about learning to let go for one week out of 52, how lucky I am to be in a place I love with the man I love, how much fun we have indulging on big fat juicy lobsters and how wonderful it is to hang out at the marina or do nothing at all.     
   
Most of all, I remind myself that life is more than the summation of my To-Do List accomplishments.


As I would’ve guessed, I fell a bit short of my goal; I didn’t taste freedom as quickly as I’d wanted; that is, until I cracked open that second lobster, when the only thing left “To-Do” was to truly enjoy it. 


2 comments:

  1. So glad you are enjoying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Judy! What you need to do is put together a "To Do List" for your vacation. Then you can start crossing off things like 1. Eat Lobster 2. Sit and watch sun set 3. Buy gift for Cel etc... This way you will be so busy with your vacation "To Do" list that you will forget about your home "To Do" list. LOL! enjoy the rest of your vacation. Can't wait to hear all about it.

    ReplyDelete