Sunday, November 8, 2020

A Step in the Right Direction

What would life be like if I were a Black man?

I have tried to imagine this at different times but, after a few seconds, it’s too difficult to fathom so I go back to what I know: life as a white woman…where I can go for a walk in my neighborhood; I can stroll around the mall; I can drive anywhere; I can hang out in coffee shops; I can travel in my state, in my country and abroad, too.  

I can do all these things whenever I want and be fairly certain that I’ll be returning home safely.

I am aware that the color of my skin gives me the freedom to live the way I want to. 

But if tomorrow I were to wake up as a Black man, how would I feel? 

I am sure I’d be panic-stricken, knowing I could easily be singled out in any environment, pulled over, asked to leave somewhere, made to feel uncomfortable, worried about arrest – even death.    

And if I were a parent or grandparent of a young Black man, I’d always be frightened, just waiting for something awful to transpire…tonight, tomorrow, anytime at all.   

In Donald Trump’s world, these fears multiplied. His lack of character combined with his hunger for power further oppressed Blacks and other marginalized populations; he empowered neo-Nazis and White Supremacists so that he could continue to receive their support, giving them an amplified voice which in turn has caused widespread anxiety and dread in and danger to the Black community. 

He’s had no problem with KKK rallies, police brutality, random acts of violence against Blacks, discrimination, racism in every form and so on.     

CNN political commentator Van Jones, a Black man, reacted to Joe Biden’s winning of the presidency with tears that brought my own as well.  

His hope is that as a parent he will be less fearful and that his sons will have an appreciation for the fact that character and being a good person matters.

 

9 comments:

  1. As an early childhood educator I've always worried about the adorable little boys of color who grow up to be young men of color. I worry about their safety. Hopefully under new leadership things will improve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope so! By the way, I will always be grateful to you for being such a kind and loving presence for Michael, way back when.

      Delete
  2. I also cried with Van Jones. Don’t miss Dave Chappelle’s 16 minute monologue on SNL last night, for more of what it feels like to live in black skin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave Chappelle's monologue was so powerful. Cory Booker a couple years ago shared his story, and I was blown away how many people deal with their skin color being a problem for others on a daily or minute-to-minute basis.

      Delete
  3. Judy, I also cried while watching Van Jones and Dave Chappelle as well. I cried with and for them. I cry because, like you, I can never know what it feels like to be a person, particularly a man, who is black in this country. I can only listen to their voices and try to do what I can to show my support, but it never feels like enough. I do believe that with our new leadership there is more hope, and at least, for now, that is something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Biden's leadership has to make a difference because he will denounce racism in all its ugly forms and work to bridge gaps and not cause them, so I am hopeful too.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheers to a better, brighter, kinder, more peaceful and more hopeful future....

    ReplyDelete