Sunday, November 1, 2020

Outdoor Peace

In this COVID-infiltrated world, I could SCREAM sometimes because I cannot make one plan or decision without taking the virus into account.

I continually talk myself through it, saying stuff like “next year at this time we should be in a better place,” “this will be a blip when we think back in 10 years,” or “vigilance now will give us freedom later,” and so on.

All this COVID chaos has led me to become extra grateful for Mother Nature.  

Right now, during Autumn, she is giving so generously beyond measure. Her jaw-dropping beauty in combination with the restorative powers that she provides have done so much for me. 

Next to my grandbabies’ (and Shea Doggy’s) faces, nothing is more lovely to look at than fall foliage.  One tree can display a plethora of bold colors including red, orange, gold, yellow and green, and the blend of hues in one leaf alone is stunning.  

In recent weeks, I’ve been strolling through local neighborhoods, all of which have their own personalities but share a seasonal vibrancy unique to this time of year. I walk around holding up my iPhone in photo-taking mode to see which tree would make the most amazing shot or which overall view would be the best. Luckily, I haven’t tripped over my own feet yet in the quest to capture that perfect picture.

While I’m loving the mix of colors when I look up at the trees, the leaves aren’t so pretty when they’ve fallen to the ground on the front or back of our property, translating to hours and hours of leaf blowing and raking. Although David does the majority of it, in years past I’ve heard myself cursing through my portion of the process; this year, however, I’ve been so grateful for the exercise – especially since I can’t get to Planet Fitness – and for working alongside Mother Nature, in all her glory. 

I wish fall didn’t have to end, because the trees will look so bare and lonely, the way many of us feel.   

But before long, as I am bundled up for wintertime, I will eagerly anticipate the first snowfall and the stillness that always follows, soothing my soul.  

Embracing the seasons for their inherent beauty is an important reminder to me to appreciate the people and parts of my life that I find so special, for as long and heartily as I can. 

9 comments:

  1. What a beautiful Soul you are!!💖💖

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure where that came from but thank you, as are you! xo

      Delete
    2. I agree with "whatonly..."- love this piece written about mother nature's peace!!

      Delete
  2. Agree with you Judy. You just convinced me I need a new winter coat so I won't hate winter as much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the things I have appreciated from this difficult time is the ability to get outside more often and enjoy Mother Nature. Since I started working from home back in March, I have had opportunities every day to go out and take a long walk. This is not something I would have done if working in town.
    I really appreciate and look forward to my daily walks with my husband, but more so in the Fall, which is my favorite season.
    I agree with you about the changes in the seasons and feel lucky that we get to experience these changes throughout the year, giving us something to always look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy you've been enjoying Mother Nature so much also! What a difference a walk makes. I hope I continue through the winter.

      Delete
  4. I do miss the seasons changing in FL, each packing a punch with their own beauty. I know how much you love the pretty fall leaves! Send me some pictures, next time you get a good one! <3

    ReplyDelete