Sunday, November 15, 2020

Hang in There

It was extra depressing to hear the NJ governor say that “Everything is going in the wrong direction” regarding the COVID surge, when it’s already been 8 months of living in relative isolation to prevent that very reality from happening.

While it’s fairly simple – albeit frustrating – to adhere to the recommendations of mask wearing, social distancing and separation, navigating many of my emotions around this whole scary upheaval has become more difficult the longer it’s dragged on, with no end in sight.

To keep from succumbing to negativity, I’ve had to dig beyond my Take-a-Walk and let Mother Nature do her Magic that I wrote about a couple weeks ago – and the Trader Joe’s dark chocolate almonds 😊 that I didn’t – to gain some strength from prior experiences that played out over a somewhat lengthy period of time.   

Two trying situations in my past that fit this description include 1 - going through divorce and 2 – the months leading up to being terminated from my workplace. 

In each case, I kept a running dialogue in my head to keep me from getting too emotional or distracted.  In a strangely powerful way, these conversations were quite effective.

The divorce process took a couple of years, and I had to keep reminding myself: Be patient…Stay the course! Be focused and positive! Don’t get caught up in all the minutia or bickering! Be grateful for the friends and family who support me! Look how far I’ve come…soon it will behind me!     

With regard to my employment clusterfuck, after 17 years I knew things had gone south for me but had no intention of giving up or making it easy for my boss(es) to fire me; I opted to fight for the job. So every morning as I walked down the steps to the basement where my office was, I would give myself a pep talk: Don’t turn around and go back home! Don’t quit! Don’t make things worse than they are! Be a good person, despite the crap!  Don’t have regrets!  

My guess is that all this talking to myself didn’t really change anything that was beyond my control, but it did keep me from spiraling to a dark place.

COVID, like these two scenarios, requires similar coaching:

Take it one day at a time! Don’t get sloppy! This isn’t going to last forever!

8 comments:

  1. Love this. You are strong and can handle anything and everything that life throws at you! Dave tries to remind me of this all the time - to control what I can control, and to ease up on the stress and anxiety of those factors that are out of my control. Can I control the outcome of the virus? No. Can I control my reactions to this virus? Yes! Trying to look at the bright side of it - this pandemic has allowed our little family of three to spend way more time together than we ever would have been able to. It's been a bright light amongst all of the hecticness in the world. Even though he has to remind me often to be positive, I know he's right and the attitude you carry really goes a long way! XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, congratulations in using 'duck' appropriately! Secondly, I adore this direct reference to the mess we're in. Love your positive blogs but this one is so close to heart. I love you as a writer❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete