Sunday, December 6, 2020

In My Dream

I woke up a few mornings ago feeling both happy and sad, desperately wanting to relive the dream I just had.      

The dream occurred sometime after I returned to my bed from a quick bathroom trip around 5 a.m.

I had made a phone call and instead of hearing the person I thought would answer, a faint, unexpected voice replied on the other end. I looked at my phone to make sure I had called the correct number, and surprisingly it said MOM in strange looking capital letters. Confused, I asked “Mom?  Is that you?” and she said very softly and somewhat unsteadily, “Yes, Judy, it’s me.”

I asked how she is doing, and she said “fine, good,” which is how she always responded to that question. Then, she asked, “Do you think you can come visit me this weekend?” and to that I excitedly said, “Of course mom, I will!”

When I woke up, I felt that I had just talked to her, and I was sooooo happy! Soon after, I realized that NO, I would not be visiting her this weekend.

I have had her on my mind a lot lately as we inch closer to the 6th anniversary of her passing, so perhaps that is why I had this dream, and/or maybe she was – as David cringes when I say – trying to communicate with me to let me know she’s doing OK…and that she wishes we could spend more time together.

For several mornings after that, I tried to recreate the dream. I’d get back in bed after my early morning bathroom visit and replay the phone conversation over and over again, step by step, thinking at some point my internal algorithm would kick in since I had been concentrating so hard…to no avail. The only other memory I have upon waking since then with any kind of clarity is holding on to a tree that was skating down a hilly sidewalk.

I wish I could make a reservation with the powers that be for regularly scheduled morning or afternoon greetings from my mom. It would be so wonderful to have this feeling of connection on a daily basis.

If I told David I feel upset that I may never experience this meaningful kind of moment again, I’m pretty sure he’d offer to rig something up electronically so that her voice would act as an alarm of sorts, regardless of the time of day. Perhaps through Alexa this could be arranged, but I have to admit that these artificial solutions to replay the conversation would end up creeping me out.      

When I think it all through, the most interesting part of the phone call is that it reminded me of how much I miss her inherent qualities, like the sound of her voice.

I am sure we all wish we could have another real encounter with those we have lost.

For now, dreams will have to suffice.

 

14 comments:

  1. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe she was communicating with you! Sounds like a very special dream. Will keep my fingers crossed that you get to experience it again. XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely. Just, lovely.

    With love. To you and David.

    ReplyDelete
  4. After Bill died I would have occasional dreams with him, but he never spoke. I would just see him. I would always be so happy to have seen him but was sad that I didn’t hear his voice. Eventually, I did hear his voice and it was comforting.

    I know that feeling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get what you mean about seeing Bill but not hearing his voice...I've had dreams with my mom and other loved ones before but I've only seen them, not heard them (until this last dream with my mom). Glad you finally heard Bill's voice xo

      Delete
  5. beautiful that Mom communicated with you!!
    Just be open & receptive...there are other dimensions besides 3D!!👍🏽💖💖

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm so happy she decided to drop in and say hi! I believe it, about other dimensions!

      Delete
  6. Two things that might help: one is that your mom made the call. When she wants to talk again she'll contact you again. Two, some people never get the fortune of a dream where they are seeing or speaking to loved ones that have passed. What a special treat! Enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, i am so lucky to have had a dream where I got to speak to my mom!!! That is so awesome. It made me so happy for days xo

      Delete
  7. This made me cry. So happy that you got to hear your mom's voice again! So special, and of course, you KNOW I think it really was her!! By visiting, you could go into a nice meditation all by yourself, and picture your mommy in a setting she would love. Soon enough, you will feel like you are visiting there with her!!

    ReplyDelete