Sunday, September 5, 2021

Rosh Hashanah

With the Jewish New Year fast approaching, I am looking forward to the start of Rosh Hashanah, followed by Yom Kippur, so that I can tune in to High Holiday services going on at my synagogue…from home.

I’ll be streaming them on Zoom, just as I did last year, most likely with my eyes closed for a big part of the day. I might even appear to be dozing here and there, but it won’t be out of boredom.

It’ll be more like the trance I’ve experienced during my foray into Yoga, or how I picture the practice of mindfulness, which I’ve been told is all about eliminating distractions and instead focusing on the here and now. 

Attending virtually instead of physically will prevent the usual tug of war between my sight and hearing senses. It will allow me to indulge in my favorite aspect of religious services: the sound of prayer in its many forms.

I will close my eyes and listen to the soothing tone of the rabbi’s chanting, the chilling power of the cantor when he sings and the handful of inspiring congregants of all ages who have practiced really hard to learn a Torah portion – in Hebrew – to read aloud to the entire congregation.

At times, I’ll even channel the day’s thoughts to where they’re supposed to be: reflecting on the past year, repenting for wrongdoings, and also working toward a better version of myself for the upcoming year.   

However, I will also miss a lot by staying home, such as the lovely faces of my dear friends, the joy of watching multiple generations together and the very special memory of seeing where my former father-in-law would have sat if he were still with us.   

Shanah Tovah...Wishing You a Happy, Healthy and Peaceful New Year! 

7 comments:

  1. What a beautiful way to receive prayer I'm gonna feel your day❤️ This was an inspirational long as they usually are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your intimate thoughts about this holiday and how you intend to spend it. I wish you, David and the rest of your family a very Happy New Year!

    Will you be having a meal with your family? We will be going to Dave's sister's this evening. She plans on eating outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoyed the High Holidays with Dave's family!

      Delete
  3. Have a sweet new year sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete