Sunday, May 17, 2015

Shop Here or Shop There

I'm getting more like my husband every day.

Sometimes the likeness shocks me; other times I kind of expect it:  Is it myth? truth? - that we start looking like our partners - even our dogs, from what people say - over time?   If that's the case, acting like our partners as well shouldn't be any big surprise.

This particular realization relates to something David and I do often, so there's ample opportunity to compare our approaches to it:  SHOPPING!

Online vs. on foot.

I attended a baby shower this weekend - had a great time - but the purchase of the gift took me a good 5 hours; it would've taken David under 15 minutes.   Was my gift better than his would've been? 

Just because I obsess about and throw my heart into whatever I buy, and David is ruled by practicality for many things and would never obsess over a baby gift, the difference in approach doesn't necessarily translate to a difference in quality regarding the end result, does it? 

His search almost always begins and ends online, regardless of the purchase (with few exceptions), and he doesn't dawdle unless it's a big ticket item.  But I can't get past the feeling that internet shopping is the lazy man's approach and, therefore, not generally how I want to proceed.  It simply doesn't compare to getting up close and personal with the item(s) of consideration - looking at it, holding it, etc...especially for a baby.

Yet, since I always marvel at how successful David can be when he shops online, I've become more open to at least starting there to get myself in the right mode of thought.  So, I went on to babiesrus.com, where the couple was registered, thinking perhaps his way is at least worth considering.   

I was mentally exhausted after 5 minutes looking at the vast array of items and  quickly decided to finish up the task the next day.  After a few days of this routine, I wondered how it was possible for David to make important decisions like this online. I decided I had better stop wasting time and go into the store.

I headed over to Babies"R"Us in Cherry Hill, where I hadn't been for at least a decade, when it was just Toys"R"Us - and was immediately confused by the fact that when you enter the store, it's both Babies"R"Us and Toys"R"Us sharing the same space.  Right away, I wished I had been more David-like, as he'd never have set foot in that maze. 

I looked for a person to help me, but no one came to my rescue.  I followed the sign for "Baby Registry," which was in the far right corner of the store, and there I saw a machine which housed the registry listings. Whew...things were moving along after all.  I planned to quickly print out a list...and I told myself it I can finish up in the next 15 minutes, I can reward my hard work and have a delicious juice from Rastelli's Market on the way home.

About 45 minutes later, I was still obsessing over the 3 versions of the lists (by alphabetical order, price, and aisle), which had about 10 items per page and were about 10 pages long. I soon felt defeated, sadly realizing as well that I had been there for so long that I probably missed my opportunity to stop for the juice I had been looking forward to.

I also found myself daydreaming, not about sitting at the beach but about shopping online in the comfort of my home, like you-know-who would've done!   It would've been so much more relaxing to browse while seated at my desk, maybe take in a snack or two, feel the spring breeze on my face...was my gift going to be that much better for walking through the doors of Babies"R"Us?   

After all that, what did I end up buying, you wonder? 

NOTHING ON THE LIST. 

I decided on a gift card so the new parents could agonize over their choices as I was done with that; I picked out a couple books, threw in a Phillies outfit, and I was ready to roll.   
  
As I looked at all the presents at the shower, I wondered how many people made their decisions scrolling through the list online or strolling through the store.  It didn't really matter.  The happy couple seemed thrilled with every gift.

Either way, I wonder what I'll do the next time around.  

My guess?  The same thing I did this time, daydreams and all.

And I have no doubt that David will remind me that sometimes, it's not all that bad to be like him. 




4 comments:

  1. I shop just like you! Like mother, like daughter. Another great blog (and title, too!) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do a little of both too. I am very, very good at shopping online for myself, but when I am shopping for someone else, I find that I want to feel that I have put in the time and effort to get the gift. Also, when purchasing a larger gift for a baby shower, I certainly don't want to pay for the shipping, so I will definitely go directly to the store and pick the item up myself. However, working through the 15-page (double-sided) registry is a whole other story of frustration that I share with you!!! Celestine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much, again...I can always count on you to share your own experiences, which often align with mine!

    ReplyDelete