Sunday, May 31, 2015

TMI

Is it possible for David to have a meal with his lovely wife and NOT pick up his cell phone while they are sitting together?

It can be done, yes.

But how likely is it? 

Not very.

It used to be that when David and I sat close to one another, it was the touch of my arm he'd reach for, with a nice big smile, as he gazed into my eyes.

Fifteen years later, he now ALSO reaches for his sleek and sexy iPhone.

He just can't help himself.

For him to know that there is access to information, or to communication, but he isn't free to take advantage of these offerings, would be similar to not letting Shea Doggy sniff to his heart's content outside.     

Yesterday's lunchtime provides a perfect example.  I was telling David about my very nice walk from our home to Stockton Elementary School, which was 1.8 miles away. 

I thought he'd say "Wow!  What a long walk!  Good for you!" but....

Instead, he asked, "Is the school at a dead end, when coming in from Rt. 70?"

What??!?!  Who cares!?!?!?  

And honestly, I had no idea.  I'd probably driven to that school hundreds of times in the years my kids went there, but I had no recollection of what was on the one side of the school, probably because I didn't care then either.

In retrospect, I should  have just agreed with him and put the subject to rest (maybe), but I said, "No, I don't think it's a dead end," and since I contradicted his thinking, there was only one thing left for him to do.

I knew it would be just a matter of seconds before he'd reach for his phone.  I started counting.

Like clockwork, he grabbed it, clicked on to his Google Maps app, typed in Stockton Elementary, and there it was.

It seems that Stockton may be at a dead end, after all.  I'm so glad I know now.

Add this to an example earlier that day during our breakfast time together, when he asked if we were going to get rain.  This inquiry is always, without question, a precursor to checking his weather app, a smooth move on his part which takes about 30 seconds from question to answer.

Texting is another matter, but one that he also finds irresistible - both in terms of sending and receiving.  I get that David's spent all day communicating with co-workers via email, on line chat, phone as well as text, and I know it's hard for him to turn it off when he gets home.  I guess the true test will be when he retires and, as always, Time Will Tell.

For now at least, I do see a big change coming. 

It will get even easier for David to connect to the world, once his on-order Apple watch becomes- for all intents and purposes - surgically attached to his wrist.


2 comments:

  1. It is crazy that we live in a world where so much information is available at your finger tips any second of any day. At least we reap the benefits of David's love for technology - he is the #1 go-to man anytime we need anything fixed :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right, Judy. The world is changing; or has it already changed? David seems to be fitting right in with the "younger" generation. I find myself feeling like I am still part of the "older" generation. Just this weekend I found myself feeling so irritated by the fact that after my husband's numerous attempts to contact his daughter via phone calls that were not answered he left a voice message. He also asked me to send a text message (because he was driving). So I sent a text message for her to "please call her dad because he had been trying to get a hold of her" (as she would know by looking at her phone and would see several missed calls.) I got a reply text f rom her saying "What's up, I'm at a brunch" I was so frustrated because the text specifically said CALL YOUR FATHER. It did not say text me back! I purposely did not respond to her text with what he needed because I think that kids do everything nowadays by text and think that is totally acceptable when sometimes a phone call is required. I told her to check her VM and left it at that. Can you sense my frustration LOL! I think texting and all of today's technology does take the personal touch (as well as conversation and communication) out of today's world, and it makes me sad. Although to the actual point of your blog today - TMI - it truly does provide a lot more immediate information than we ever had in the past:) Celestine

    ReplyDelete