Sunday, May 3, 2015

Thank You, Alfred

I'm generally not one to believe in signs, but today I'm thinking maybe I am, after all.
   
On Wednesday night, my girlfriend and I were talking about Mother's Day, and she told me that she was going to Boscov's this weekend to check out the Alfred Dunner selection for her mom. 

Sigh.  

I immediately felt so sad, as this had been my routine for years:  the weekend before Mother's  Day, I'd head over to Boscov's to scope out some pretty new floral patterns.  

I could always count on Alfred to bring a smile to my mom's face. 

For those of you unfamiliar with the Alfred Dunner brand, it is attractive clothing (for our moms) that is easy to wash and wear.  The pants are a fairly thick polyester, both the tops and bottoms ward off stains and my favorite part of the slacks - and which makes this brand so distinguishable - is the elasticized waistband.

I've gotten so savvy about the Alfred Dunner line after all these years that I can usually spot it a mile away.

That's why I almost fell off the bike at Planet Fitness today.

After about 5 minutes into my workout, I saw a woman my mom's height - about 5' - walking in my direction.  She stopped at the bike next to mine and proceeded to sit down. 

It was one of those moments when I wondered if I was seeing things just because I wanted to...her outfit screamed Alfred Dunner!  

The top was a lovely floral with red, light blue and beige, and the coordinating pants were light blue.   My mom would've looked hot in this outfit.

This was a first for me, seeing an Alfred Dunner original at the gym.

I looked at her a few times in disbelief, and we smiled at each other.  I was so comforted by this stranger in the Alfred Dunner outfit.  I didn't want to get off my bike until she did, so I waited.  When she stood up, she dropped one of her tissues, and when she bent over to pick it up, I saw the elasticized waistband.


Thank you, Alfred, for sending Mom to me today.  

1 comment:

  1. Charming and poignant, like so many of your blogs. Wonderful vignette!

    ReplyDelete