Sunday, May 24, 2020

Grandparents


My daughter Allison is having a baby in a couple of weeks, and she’s trying to take care of the last-minute details before the little one enters the world.

One of the items on her to-do list included a text message to all the parents announcing the grandparent names we have chosen for ourselves.

I looked at the list and was floored that this baby is going to have 7 grandparents!

What a lucky kid! That’s a whole lot of love for this baby of theirs, not to mention for all 7 of us chomping at the bit to experience the joy that she will bring. It’s amazing that one little baby can make so many people so happy, just by being born.

This bounty of grandparents is the direct result of the unfortunate divorces in each of the new parents’ families. Talk about something so sad giving way to such delight.  
    
My own kids hit the jackpot with their 4 doting grandparents, each bond unique and creating cherished memories. Now sadly they have just 1 grandparent, PopPop. The humor and affection he so freely gives has been extended to the next generation, as he’s recently been promoted to Great Granddad, a badge he wears with pride. 

In stark contrast was my upbringing, void of the presence of all 4 grandparents. Two of mine were already gone when I was born, I never met my dad’s father, and I can’t picture my mom’s father’s face or voice; he passed when I was 5. I can vaguely recall his wife’s white-silver curly hair and coral-colored lipstick, and I can visualize my siblings and me sitting on hard plastic furniture covers in their living room while wishing I could have an ice cream cone instead of the hard candies in the glass bowl that were offered to us.  

In my 20s, however, I did enjoy the amazing warmth and tenderness of my then-husband’s grandmother MomMom, who scooped me up and made me one of her own. Because I wanted to learn and she reveled in teaching me, she spent eons of time sharing her skills and knowledge so that I could become a “balabusta” – the Yiddish expression for being a good homemaker – and patiently sat with me so I could practice crocheting a granny square afghan, baking kamish bread and preparing matzoh ball chicken soup for the Jewish holidays.

There was something so gratifying about being a novice under her watchful eye and loving heart; these days, I could easily find information on YouTube, given that everything is just a click away.  But I'd miss so much, in comparison.         

As you can see, I relish the precious connection between grandparent and grandchild.

By the way, the name I chose for myself is MomMom.


6 comments:

  1. Judy, my grandkids have the same situation. 7 grandparents. We were asked the same thing but Julie picked my name as grandma bunny. However I refer to myself as Grammy. Aviva now that she is talking chooses to call me MiMa. It sometimes works itself out. Excited for Allie's little one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Robin, What cute names! I like MiMa! Aviva is talking already ? How cute. Still waiting for Allison's baby to make her debut!

      Delete
  2. Being a grandparent is the absolute best! I don't think that it matters if grandparents share the same names. When I was growing up, both sets of my grandparents had the same names. I had Mama and Papa Duffy and Mama and Papa McCutcheon. No issues at all (except we usually called the latter Mama and Papa Cutcheon:)). I think you should be able to pick whatever name you want and if one of the other grandparents us using the same name, so what! You are your own person and a whole separate grandparent, and the grandchild will be able to differentiate between the two.

    I love that you were able to experience the beauty and love of Bob's MomMom. Such precious memories for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cel! I love being a grandmom and will love it even more after this Covid mess! I don't really care what my name is, because I know over time the baby will come up with her (in this case) own name for me. I wouldn't even mind if it's Judy. I'm so happy that I got to know Bob's MomMom too. I think of her so often. She had a great laugh and always said nice things about everyone.

      Delete
  3. Loved this!! She will be so lucky to have 7 grandparents, and so many aunts and uncles, too! You already are the best MomMom and I can't wait for you to be one to a little girl we bring into this world! She will love you to pieces! I also remember her kamish bread and now I need to see if I can find a GF version to make one day. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She will be so lucky to have 7 of us to love her so much, plus yes, all her aunts and uncles, too...a huge circle of love she will have the moment she enters the world. Yea let's make a gluten free version of kamish bread. Couldn't we just substitute the flour with a gluten free one?

      Delete