Sunday, May 10, 2020

Thinking About My Mom


One afternoon about 25 years ago, I went back to my parents’ house to surprise my mom. She wasn’t in her usual spot – the kitchen, so I went to her second most frequented place – the basement. This is where I often found her doing the laundry, or every now and then taking a Rolling Rock beer from her stash in the refrigerator.

My mom was very predictable when I came to visit. She always smiled when she saw me and leaned in for our kiss. Without fail, she’d ask me if I wanted something to eat or drink. Then we’d sit at the kitchen table and she’d rattle off a gamut of questions, depending on where I was in my life:  How are you? How’re the kids?  How’s your job?  How’re your friends? and so on. She usually did all the asking, and I did all the telling.

On this particular day when I located her in the basement, she didn’t see me come downstairs, as she was busy transferring the clothing from the washer to the dryer.

My presence startled her. I can still picture her face. She had a strange, unfamiliar and rather disturbing expression. She uttered “Judy!” in a very abrupt, accusatory manner. I was confused, but I soon saw what was happening, as she quickly moved her one arm to her back. 

In her hand was a lit cigarette.

My mom had been a smoker for most of her life. It stands to reason that she got sick with COPD – a respiratory condition – as she aged. There’s even a picture I have of her breastfeeding me with a cigarette hanging out of her mouth. 

She had quit several years before this incident, and weaning herself had been a very difficult task. She also experienced mounting frustration relating to the weight gain that noshing caused. These factors added to my confusion.   
         
“Mom!  Why did you start again?” I asked, after I caught her in the act. Unlike in prior visits, this time around it was me asking her to respond…except that she didn’t, in words.  

Her face, however, spoke to me. She looked so upset that she might cry, which kind of freaked me out, because this wasn’t a reaction that I was familiar with, at all. She had always been very steady…unshaken…unless she was voicing an opinion about something that she felt passionate about.  
    
As I looked at my mom in this unusual state, I began to think of her very differently, almost like I was seeing her for the very first time. I realized that she was her own person; she wasn’t just my mom. Her very first layer was Florence – the individual – before the roles of wife and mother of 4 were piled on.    

The last thing I ever wanted her to feel was judged or shamed or embarrassed. Yet, I put her on the spot. She didn’t deserve to be questioned. She was 80 years old. She spent her whole life serving others, with enormous compassion, commitment and energy. She certainly didn’t owe me an explanation. I’d assume she was at peace with her decision to start again, for whatever the reason.

I just wish I could have a do-over.  

17 comments:

  1. Great story. It is so interesting to think that we all lead our own lives outside of our numerous perceived “identities” we hold to others. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so interesting! We are such complex beings. Have to do our best to hold on to ourselves too! xo

      Delete
    2. My thoughts exactly, Allison. Celestine

      Delete
  2. Moving piece, Judy! addiction is difficult to deal with...for the individual & the family!! I agree with Allie...children view their “parent” as nothing else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's almost easy to forget that people are individuals, too, when they have such an important role in our lives - not an excuse, but a reality

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a thoughtful blog post. I imagine our kids also struggle with seeing us as people with our own foibles, not only as moms who have limitless capacity to love them. And I suspect your mom knew that you had a limitless capacity to love her - cigarette and all. No do-over needed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Judy, I love your statement "Her very first layer was Florence – the individual – before the roles of wife and mother of 4 were piled on." When Bill died, I felt stripped of so many layers that I truly didn't know who I was anymore. I think I was probably feeling like that first layer (Celestine), and feeling very vulnerable without my partner with whom I had built so many comfortable layers with over the years. But in the context of your story above, I think if Bill was still alive, I might have yearned for that first layer, and maybe the ability to "steal away" for a short while to be just "Celestine", but still be able to return to the comfort of the life I had built wit Bill.
    It was a really beautiful way to put it and made me think about my life and all of its many layers. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your reflections about such a personal and difficult period of your life. It is a fascinating contrast you expressed between feeling vulnerable as Celestine without the comfort of the layers you built with Bill once he passed, whereas if he were still here today, you'd have those layers that the marriage created but might be missing the pure Celestine first layer. Love this, thanks again for sharing xo

      Delete
  6. hi Judy As always I enjoyed reading your posts. I also watched my parents as individuals and saw the dance they danced. I used to judge them but learned a better way to watch them differently. After my father passed i see my mother differently again. I enjoy every minute as she is getting older......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Your comment brings up a really interesting point about viewing our parents differently at different times in our lives as well as theirs. I too saw my mom one way when she was married to my dad and differently when he passed, when she grew into herself and actually had more of herself to give. I feel so fortunate we had that time together. It's given me so many wonderful memories. Enjoy your mom, and please send my regards. Thanks for sharing, Michel.

      Delete
  7. Hi, Cousin:

    Your mom was a magnificent woman. Notice I didn't say super-woman. Though she generally acted like super-woman she had and was entitled to be a "regular" woman. She no doubt had the same emotions as the rest of us. Perhaps though she was better at hiding them.
    Your mom was wicked intelligent. She knew that smoking was not good for her (or anybody) however even Superman was rendered helpless by Kryptonite. Smoking was, apparently, her Kryptonite. Fight as she might she still succumbed to smoking's addictive power.
    So, your mom was human after all.
    You mom was only one of two relatives who was there for me when I facing my Kryptonite. She was one of the most caring people I ever had the privilege of knowing and having her as a relation was just a bonus.
    Cousin, you don't need a "do-over". You loved your mom and
    your reaction was an expression of your love - not a negative judgement.
    While your mom may have been embarrassed by being "caught" I am rather certain that she knew your reaction came from love and not anything other than that.
    So, while your mom needed a break from judgement, so do you.
    You recognize that there was a Florence and a mom.
    There is also a Judy and a daughter - a mighty darn special daughter who is a loving and caring person - just as both Florence and mom was!
    Love,
    Marty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marty, I know you loved my mom, and I know she loved you. I also know that you always saw the best in her, and she too saw the best in you. I appreciate that you have extended your kindness to me!

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jewel, This one hit me hard. Until the virus and social distancing and having my dad in "prison" as he refers to it, I was on my parents constantly about what they ate, what they drank and honestly, it was none of my business and I feel bad about it. They are grown-ups and I was not put on the face of this earth to become their gate keepers to chocolate chip ice cream, daily champagne, evening grand marnier, lack of exercise or anything else (and I could go on and on). As my sister puts it, I just don't stop. But I have. Covid-19 has given me a different perspective. They are, thank g-d, safe and sound and (thanks to my mom saying NO), never moved to an independent living residence. Love "trumps" all and the bottom line is that your mom knew that you loved her, cared for her and wanted the best for her. Since there's no do-overs available, I'm thinking that you may rest easy knowing that you knew and she knew this very thing...xoxo Andi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to negotiate that fine line between showing care for them and overstepping to the point that you/we are parenting them. It's wonderful that you can give them space now to just be who they are and you can all enjoy the time you spend together. We are all works in progress xo

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete