Sunday, May 31, 2020

Mixing It Up


My girlfriend told me about a delicious cauliflower leek soup she had just made, so I asked for the recipe, as I am always eager to try something new. 

She mentioned that the recipe required the use of an immersion blender, which she loves because it allows her to keep the soup in the pot to puree instead of transferring it to a blender.

I didn’t have an immersion blender but was already hooked on the idea of this soup, so I decided to proceed with – don’t judge me – a hand mixer, which I could also utilize in the soup pot. I was certain that I could make it work, one way or another. 

While the soup was very tasty, the consistency was way off with the hand mixer, like 1,000 tiny pieces of cauliflower floating in liquid. Not exactly how I envisioned my soup. 

The next day, I poured my mixture into the blender and created a truly delicious soup but frankly, by that time, I was sick of the cauliflower.

David had seen me fussing with the soup over a 2-day period, and I’m sure he wondered what I was doing. He would have enjoyed using this scenario as yet another opportunity to explain that having the appropriate tool to do the job – whatever it is – should always be at the starting point of any project. 

Since he has retired, he is constantly working around the house and seems to feel the need to buy a new gadget for every task he takes on.        

“Can’t you just use what you have?” I ask him, time and time again.    

Meantime, he consistently echoes a different frustration to me.     

“You always use the wrong tools,” he says, which is annoying to hear because I view so much of his purchases as overkill; yet, there’s no doubt that his precision consistently leads to a good outcome.

Every now and then, he manages to convert me to his way of thinking.  

Take knives, for example. He made a big stink one day that we need a knife specifically designed to slice bagels. I thought he was ridiculous and indulgent…What’s wrong with the knives we have?  I asked.

He insisted that I try the knife when he got it, and I have to admit that I became an instant believer. Its serrated edges are perfect for a clean and safe cut, which I especially appreciate given that I almost sliced my finger off some 20 years ago when I used a utility knife to slice a bagel.    

I started to daydream out loud about how good the cauliflower leek soup would have been had I used an immersion blender.

David was so excited that I was actually open to getting one that he immediately went online and started researching them. 

Guess what was in yesterday’s mail?

12 comments:

  1. I'm with David - the right tool makes a perfect job easy...and I love my immersion blender :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have guessed being the chef you are that you'd not only have an immersion blender but agree that the perfect tool makes all the difference. What is your favorite soup recipe?

      Delete
  2. My immersion blender is my absolute favorite kitchen gadget. Hoping you love yours as much as I do mine. What a difference it makes in pureeing soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What kind of soups do you make? Do you use it for anything else beside soup?

      Delete
  3. LOL love this post - it describes your relationship perfectly! What's the next recipe you'll whip up with your new gadget?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...I'm going to look for some new soup recipes. Robin (below) mentioned a black bean and squash, so I'm thinking maybe that will be next!

      Delete
  4. What kind did you get. I love mine. Next time call me with cooking questions. A blender would have worked in small batches. Works so well with black bean soup squash soup and split pea. Mmm hungry now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Robin! I got a Cuisinart. I love split pea soup! With that, I've always used the blender and have been pleased with the results, but I've had to transfer it in batches and have had to clean the whole blender when I'm done - so now I'll eliminate the transfer and won't have as much to clean, hopefully. I'd love your black bean squash soup recipe!

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am laughing while I am reading this. David gave me a preview this week (before I read it). I am not surprised one was in the mail within a few days. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard him telling you I'd wash a cashmere sweater on the normal cycle...I don't have a cashmere sweater first of all and second, I would't do that! He thinks I don't pay attention to any details but I do when they matter to me xo

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete